So I wasn't expecting this....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TedyOH

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2015
NE Ohio
This is Red Oak, Pin Oak actually, that has been CSS since 5/15, or just about through it's second summer of seasoning, was going to let it sit one more summer anyway but was curious to see where the MC was at, is this the way oak normally dries, from the inside out? I mostly deal with maple, ash, cherry and hickory blow overs, the oaks around here never blow over or get hit by lightning so I never really dealt with it, really didn't even know oak needed 2+ years until I bought my insert and joined here. The other woods do not dry this way, always drier towards the ends.

Thanks.

O1.jpg O2.jpg O3.jpg

Reactions: Soundchasm
Seems like an odd drying pattern. Some questions
Are other pieces like that?
How do other species dry for you?
Is the meter working properly (palm of your hand should be roughly low 30's.)
How big are your splits?

Keep in mind, a lot of people have a hard time getting oak dry fast. A year is super fast. Regardless of the 2 summer thing you mentioned, it's been 14 months, no more, no less. In order of my questions, I would guess the measurement is off or it's a weird piece. In my situation with red oak, I would expect to get it to mid 20's after the time you specified if split to roughly medium sized splits. Splitting small would help.

I'll check a few more splits tomorrow if it doesn't T-storm. This split was top row, ill grab another from top and down lower.
Other species dry the opposite, higher number in the middle but never at that large of a numerical spread, CSS an ash in Oct. 15, checked a week ago and its ready at 16%, although it is ash and stacked log cabin style.
Meter should be fine, spot check every now and then, not today though.
This split was around about 16" x 6" x 4" (before being re-split). The end grain was heavily checked, maybe the rain from 5 days ago was still present, its been 85+ here though for a while, think it would have dried by now but who knows

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Be curious to see what you come with tomorrow

Just a guess that the rain you mentioned is the culprit here. If the ends are checked, they might allow more water in right after a big rain, which should also quickly evaporate once the weather dries out. Having grown up in Ohio, I know how humid the summers there can be so it might take a while for the ends to dry out after the storm. It may well be that the whole split was about 16% before the rain. I've never heard of the centers of any species (oak or otherwise) drying out faster than the ends. It just doesn't make sense so (assuming your meter is right) it must be the rain/ambient humidity at play. A split from lower in the pile might be a good sanity check.

Obviously, this is just my scientific wild a$$ guess as to what is going on here. Good luck figuring it out. On the bright side, you've got the center of your oak split at 16%, which is the hard part.

Yeah it must have been because of the rain and checking, today i pulled and resplit 2 splits about half way down and things evened out / made sense, its good to know i have 3 cord of oak ready if i need it this winter, which I may.

6cbaf55df7ffe5aeebe6959957809e00.jpg

1924722feaeaf73bd1ebc0eda1e58717.jpg

8badc43523c79a2287bfda4727be1de4.jpg

Attachments

• 9d7380447d18e6af2c1c75ffc498c318.jpg
    9d7380447d18e6af2c1c75ffc498c318.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 114
Another entry into mystery book of firewood has been...solved. Very nice

Reactions: TedyOH
Yes, beware of checking moisture on the top row of your racks