So it begins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DonCT

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2005
Bristol, Connecticut
Finally started working on getting my new stove installed. I'll try to take pictures as I go along so you can see the difference :)

Here's the original fireplace:

Attachments

• fireplace11.jpg
    fireplace11.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 3,988
Nice looking pad frame-up there, Don.

keep em coming Don- enjoying your install...

Durock installed on the new hearth pad. It was a little wierd at first, but I think it came out ok. I just need to sand the edges and tape up the joints. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to start on the tile. Still haven't picked out a color yet. The woman can't seem to make up her mind (as if that's something new and unusual :p )

Keep in mind, this was my first time doing custom work with Durock :) And I think it will meet the clearances.

Attachments

• Install09.jpg
    Install09.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 3,360
  • Install10.jpg
    Install10.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 3,330
Don, great job. Keep the pictures coming. It's great to get a sequential build like this.

However, "the woman" comment..... ouch. That is so 1950s. Sounds like my older brother.

Don, looking good! and also looks familiar! That hearthpad is harder to lay out then it would seem. Cant wait to see the finished product.

That's durock? Looks like sheet rock.

DonCT said:
On the sign at the Depot, it said Firestop somethingorother Gypsom. I assumed it was Durock. I take it I was mistaken?

oh well, There's 2 layers of 5/8" on the top, so that should be sufficient, right?

Hey Don, Well, I'm not sure. I'm far from an expert though. If you look at the "before the Osburn" thread I did, the stuff I used is called Wonderboard. I got it at the BORG. It's actually fiberglass mesh similar to the stuff you use for doing sheetrock joints with cement in between The stuff is literally sheet cement. I've placed it in the stove to see how fire proof it is and it comes out looking just like when it went in. Plus it's great to tile up to since the cheapest junk tile morter bonds to it really well. I'd hate to see you go too far with the wrong base.

I always thought that firestop sheet rock was a product to put in garages and it was basically fire retardant version of sheetrock, but I could be wrong. Elk may know the specifics of the code and products. I'd like to hear what you finally do.

On closer inspection, I think Warren may be correct. The board appears to have a paper coat on it. If that's correct, it is a form of sheetrock. Hearths should be build on non-combustible materials. The paper in sheetrock is combustible. I used wonderboard as well.

The other part of the equation is that the Wonderboard has pretty good thermal mass since it's essentially cement. Sorry to cause the rework Don, but I think the install will be really sweet when your done with a change to Wonderboard. The good news is that Wonderboard is really cheap, so at least it wasn't a costly change. One other suggestion... get the screws that are made for Wonderboard. They're expensive, but worth every penny. (a little trick...a thin layer of morter between layers adds structural integrety, thermal conduction to the lower layers and makes the whole thing so stiff you won't believe it.)

Using the metal studs was a great idea...I wish I thought of that. I insulated instead.

DonCT said:
First section of chimney. Would this count as double wall??? ;)

This chimney is good for nothing except for use with the prefab fireplace that it came with - in other words it is not generic and cannot be used for a wood stove.

This assumes that it was for a prefab in the first place.
It also looks like it is just about touching that wood!

Dylan said:
Well, correct if me if I'm wrong, but the paper is only one issue here. The gypsum product will provide almost no ability to 'BRIDGE' the gap between supports. It will flex and collapse under the vertical loads.

Strangely enough, a lot of the approved stoveboards on the market are made with sheetrock as the backer board!

They use metal angles around the edges and tile then.

Well, found the Durock at the Depot. Picked up 4 sheets to do the top of the pad. I plan on keeping the 5/8" sheetrock on the sides of the pad. Will the sheetrock work ok for the walls of the alcove? Or do I need to durock them aswell?

I can reuse the sheetrock from the pad for the top of the alcove, and just pick up 1 more sheet of 4x8 to make the sides and back wall. I just figure since the pad is the closest to the stove that I would want alittle more protection there. Also, in the manual, it only talks about the R value of the pad, not the walls. As long and they're the firestop sheetrock, will I be ok? The stove will be installed with the clearance to combustables for the wood frame walls (11 in. from the corner of the stove to the wall)

I'm so confused on the walls :/

No need to sheet the walls with a non combustable, as long as you maintain your clearances to your sheetrock.

Dylan said:
What is a stoveboard typically supported upon??

The ones I am speaking about have to sit on a decent floor - either hardwood or a tight carpet. Plush carpets are difficult without cutting the rug/

I've seen both sheetrock and mineral board (like in 2x4 suspended ceiling tiles) used as the backer for these tile boards. I suppose some use cement board also, but just about any material will crack if the board is not properly seating and supported on the floor.

Great, now that I layed out where the stove will be in relation to all the walls, I think the pipe coming off the stove is going to be too close to the front wall of the alcove. I need to find out if I can rear vent, then go up. Or bend it back slightly as it comes off the stove, with the swivel pipes (I think they make them for Class A).

Or the only other way is to rip the rest of the wall down and rework it so that it will be far enough away so I can mount the ceiling box for the chimney.

I think I've just made this whole project alittle too hard. Oh well, I gotta learn sometime :) Plus that's what I have you guys for ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.