So little smoke?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deep Fryer

Jun 6, 2008
East Coast NY
Hello Everyone! Hope everyone is enjoying their stoves now that we finally got this cold snap.

Its finally gotten cold enough in my neck of the woods to fire the woodbuning stove up every night, but I've been noticing something unusual.
Whenever I added some wood to the stove in the past I would go check the chimney outside and would notice a certain amount of smoke coming out of it, rightly so. The last couple of days though i see some smoke but barely any at all, even when I throw in some small pieces and bark which normally would kick up some smoke action. There is no smoke in the house so I am not alarmed but do think its weird that there is very little smoke emanating from the chimney. Now I know that this stove (Jotul Oslo) is supposed to be pretty efficient but this is surpassing my expectations and frankly I am not used to that. I must also mention that I have been running it a bit hooter (hotter) than usual 450+, would this account for such an occurrence?

Do the catalytic models operate this way, they are supposed to be much more effiecient, does anyone else have a similar situation with their stoves?

Thanks! :)

Yep, the catalitic combuster will actully burn up the smoke. My Jotul 3 was nearly smoke free untill the combuster died. It still burns nearly smoke free on dry wood and a hot fire. Sounds like you and yours stove are doing things right. Enjoy!

My cat makes no visible smoke when up to temp.
The only time i see smoke from chimney is when the bipass is open and stove is not up to temp.
Engaging the cat before its ready would cause smoke.

Brad

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the info, The only thing is, this model is not really a CAT stove, does this still apply to the Jotul F-500? If so this is certainly Icing on the proverbial cake.

Thanks again ;-)

Doing what it gets paid for. EPA clean burn stoves eat the smoke over around 450+ stove top temps because the firebox temp is around 1,100 degrees which is when the smoke mixed with the secondary combustion air from the tubes causes the smoke to burn in the stove instead of heading up the chimney.

cmonSTART said:
I suppose if you want more smoke you can toss a tire in.

I dont see enough tires laying around on the side of the road otherwise.... :)

Greetings BrotherBart!
I gotta say I am impressed, that is pretty amazing, most products nowaday make the claims but dont live up to the expectaions.
Its just shocking when they actually perform as described.

You guys are great thank you for all your help! This is turning out to be more fun than I could ever have imagined.

Enjoy the cold evening...... by your stoves :)

Deep Fryer said:
I gotta say I am impressed, that is pretty amazing, most products nowaday make the claims but dont live up to the expectaions.
Its just shocking when they actually perform as described.

I burn two EPA stoves all winter. Two years ago my closest neighbor was bitching about one of the neighbor's wood smoke. I said well, I hope mine doesn't bother you. His reply "Oh, do you burn wood?".

Well, yeah. Five or six cords a year!

BrotherBart, burning two stoves must keep you pretty busy at times I would imagine.

Yeah! similar circumstaces here, my neighbor burs too and I always see a decent plume coming out his stack, thats why I was wondering if something was up with my stove. Very pleasantly surprised though, its so unusual for me :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.