So many choices so little time!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

namz111

Apr 25, 2008
NE PA
Well it's that time of the year and I'm getting antsy about pellet season 2013, I am in the hunt for a great pellet for under $200 a ton, last years hit was Great American for under $200 not a bad pellet. This year I have a large amount to choose from problem is I really can't try them before I buy them. So I have to buy based on name. Here's my choices so far.
1.greene team
2. North American
3.cheat river
4.presto logs
5. Great American
Based on name alone I am thinking the Presto logs are the way to go? What's your thought?

Had a bad batch of Cheats last yr. so I'm staying away from them. The GT's , Presto's and Gap's have all been good for me, What stove you burning in?

I have a harman advance and I love it. This year I also bought used harman clarity for the basement and I can't wait to fire it up!

Well it's that time of the year and I'm getting antsy about pellet season 2013, I am in the hunt for a great pellet for under $200 a ton, last years hit was Great American for under $200 not a bad pellet. This year I have a large amount to choose from problem is I really can't try them before I buy them. So I have to buy based on name. Here's my choices so far.
1.greene team
2. North American
3.cheat river
4.presto logs
5. Great American
Based on name alone I am thinking the Presto logs are the way to go? What's your thought?

Out of curiosity, where are you getting Presto's for under $200? I'd like to get some but the damn Lowe's that has them has them overpriced right now.

Prestos have been good to me. Cheat river weren't far behind, but not quite as hot in my stove. North American's were one of the worst pellets I've ever burned.

No experience with green team or GA.

Well, I didn't get under $200, but got Premium (AWF) and Timber Heat (Dry Creek) at Lowes for $209......not too bad.

They also had a private label brand that MAY actually be Somersets, but I couldn't confirm that. Now THAT would be a great deal, even at $209

Well, I didn't get under $200, but got Premium (AWF) and Timber Heat (Dry Creek) at Lowes for $209......not too bad.

They also had a private label brand that MAY actually be Somersets, but I couldn't confirm that. Now THAT would be a great deal, even at $209

macman....private label at Lowe's? Something other than the "Clean Energy"? Was it in a white with blue and red on it?

I also can now add stove chow to the list for $200!

personally i LOVE stove chow . great pellet and great price .

i should qualify that with ... while they might not be the hottest , greatest ever , they burn really clean and offer great value for the buck . if i could buy them right now for $200 i'd be all set for the year .

Reactions: Augmister

I thought Somersets were the best pellet for the price last year. I wished I had bought more but when I went back Lowes had been quickly cleaned out of them. Any more info on this private label please?

Not sure my Local Lowes has any, But I'll try to check on the private label. Don't get your hopes up too much, My local Lowes has never carried Somersets, BTW. But worth a gander as I need a few home supplies

That is if I can sneak in where the pellets are at. I was at TSC and notice they had their own brand. As I started to check them out the wifey smacked me and said we have enough! When I said just looking, she whacked me again. Pretty sure the TSC brand is MWP!

Just got back from local menards. They have 42 pallets of somersets at 200 a ton. Going back tomorrow to get 2 ton

Reactions: Augmister
Out of curiosity, where are you getting Presto's for under $200? I'd like to get some but the damn Lowe's that has them has them overpriced right now.

X2

I haven't seen the big pellet buy roll out yet in this area. That is when the box store all post bargain prices. HD went up, and kept a constant supply. They must have 100 tons in their side yard that recently came in. None yet at Walmart. TSC and lowes have them, Lowes is overpriced. My stove is fussy with some brands.

As I started to check them out the wifey smacked me and said we have enough! When I said just looking, she whacked me again.

You let her do that to you? Or maybe you like it?... ;lol

Surprised to hear the love for the Great Americans ... bougth 3 tons last year with that decision being solely based on price and they were absolute garbage ... terrible.

macman....private label at Lowe's? Something other than the "Clean Energy"? Was it in a white with blue and red on it?
Couldn't tell.....like I said, the guy wouldn't let me open the outer wrapping to look. If they get some loose bags out on the floor, I'll grab some to test and report to the forum w/ pics

Yep. 200 a ton they are. I had to ask a worker just to make sure

I haven't seen the big pellet buy roll out yet in this area. That is when the box store all post bargain prices. HD went up, and kept a constant supply. They must have 100 tons in their side yard that recently came in. None yet at Walmart. TSC and lowes have them, Lowes is overpriced. My stove is fussy with some brands.
I posted in a different thread that Walmart has MWP in Windham for $192/ton but they won't load you with a full ton. Has to be done by hand.

Reactions: save$
Status
Not open for further replies.