1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

So my buddy at work asks if he can borrow my chainsaw....

Post in 'The Gear' started by wood-fan-atic, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Kenster

Kenster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Texas- West of Houston
    I read through the whole thread and didn't find anyone making one important comment. Have you, by allowing him to chip in $100 toward the new saw, given him a sense of entitlement to borrow it when ever he sees fit? That opens a whole new can of worms.

Or, if you both consider the new saw a totally separate deal, then his $100 goes toward the repair of the 'old' saw and I suppose you could consider that a loaner... if necessary.
    But I'm glad you get to keep your buddy. That's the most important thing. Let us know if he shows up when the splitting begins.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. moosetrek

moosetrek New Member

Loc:
    WY - East of Cheyenne
    Thought I'd Echo the above comment, at least you're stihl friends with him so he can help when you're poulan the logs out of the woods.
  3. kenwit

kenwit Member

Loc:
    long island
    Lending rule #1. If you break it, you bought it!
  4. wood-fan-atic

wood-fan-atic New Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Newtothis- ya know, thats how I was raised - You break it, you bought it. But in this instance , it just didnt feel right. The $100 went toward the new saw AND repair of old, but with understanding that only my hands will EVER pull the throttle as long as the saw is cuttin'. PLUS- I fixed his old one - he can play with that.
  5. glenng

glenng New Member

I have only read the title and not the whole thread. I will loan tools on occasion to folks that I am close to and trust like a brother. Never will I loan a chainsaw. If I am asked to loan my chainsaw I will tell them its one thing I never loan. "SORRY YOUR OUT OF LUCK"" 99% of people that dont own a chainsaw have no business operating a chainsaw. Its OK to tell people NO. Loaning a chainsaw gains you zero, 100% of the time.
  6. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    Are you serious? I read through it again and found some saying the friend is responsible, some saying friend isn't responsible, and every combination in between (with advice according to those views). Im curious as to what "important comment" could have been made that wasn't.
  7. Kenster

Kenster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Texas- West of Houston
    Danno, you misread what I was saying, probably due to poor writing or punctuation on my part. Here is what I wrote....

<<<I read through the whole thread and didn’t find anyone making one important comment. Have you, by allowing him to chip in $100 toward the new saw, given him a sense of entitlement to borrow it when ever he sees fit? >>>>

I did not intend it to read....."and didn't find anyone making a single important comment...." I meant ...."didn't find anyone making THIS important comment: that by allowing him to chip in $100...."

See the difference? People made all kinds of great comments, just didn't address the one I brought up. That's what I meant. I wasn't saying that no one had offered anything constructive.

Hope that clears it up.

Cheers.
  8. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    Totally makes sense now. thanx for clarifying. sorry to misread ya!
  9. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Random thoughts . . .

No posession that I own is more valuable than my relationship with my friends . . . a chainsaw is valuable, but a good friend who will drop everything to get me out of a bind is priceless.

Lesson learned . . . me . . . I would still lend out tools in the future . . . but I would be very careful to send the proper fuel and oil and instructions with the tools.

You have a good friend . . . he stepped up and did the right thing.
  10. wood-fan-atic

wood-fan-atic New Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    No doubt, Jake. He's actually the ONLY good guy that I work with. If there was any animosity , I definitely wouldve just eaten the saw and let it be. Its all good. :)