So my buddy at work asks if he can borrow my chainsaw....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read through the whole thread and didn't find anyone making one important comment. Have you, by allowing him to chip in $100 toward the new saw, given him a sense of entitlement to borrow it when ever he sees fit? That opens a whole new can of worms.

Or, if you both consider the new saw a totally separate deal, then his $100 goes toward the repair of the 'old' saw and I suppose you could consider that a loaner... if necessary.
But I'm glad you get to keep your buddy. That's the most important thing. Let us know if he shows up when the splitting begins.

Thought I'd Echo the above comment, at least you're stihl friends with him so he can help when you're poulan the logs out of the woods.

Newtothis- ya know, thats how I was raised - You break it, you bought it. But in this instance , it just didnt feel right. The $100 went toward the new saw AND repair of old, but with understanding that only my hands will EVER pull the throttle as long as the saw is cuttin'. PLUS- I fixed his old one - he can play with that.

I have only read the title and not the whole thread. I will loan tools on occasion to folks that I am close to and trust like a brother. Never will I loan a chainsaw. If I am asked to loan my chainsaw I will tell them its one thing I never loan. "SORRY YOUR OUT OF LUCK"" 99% of people that dont own a chainsaw have no business operating a chainsaw. Its OK to tell people NO. Loaning a chainsaw gains you zero, 100% of the time.

Kenster said:
I read through the whole thread and didn't find anyone making one important comment.
Are you serious? I read through it again and found some saying the friend is responsible, some saying friend isn't responsible, and every combination in between (with advice according to those views). Im curious as to what "important comment" could have been made that wasn't.

Danno, you misread what I was saying, probably due to poor writing or punctuation on my part. Here is what I wrote....

<<<I read through the whole thread and didn’t find anyone making one important comment. Have you, by allowing him to chip in $100 toward the new saw, given him a sense of entitlement to borrow it when ever he sees fit? >>>>

I did not intend it to read....."and didn't find anyone making a single important comment...." I meant ...."didn't find anyone making THIS important comment: that by allowing him to chip in $100...."

See the difference? People made all kinds of great comments, just didn't address the one I brought up. That's what I meant. I wasn't saying that no one had offered anything constructive.

Hope that clears it up.

Cheers.

Kenster said:
Danno, you misread what I was saying, probably due to poor writing or punctuation on my part. Here is what I wrote....

<<<I read through the whole thread and didn’t find anyone making one important comment. Have you, by allowing him to chip in $100 toward the new saw, given him a sense of entitlement to borrow it when ever he sees fit? >>>>

I did not intend it to read....."and didn't find anyone making a single important comment...." I meant ...."didn't find anyone making THIS important comment: that by allowing him to chip in $100...."

See the difference? People made all kinds of great comments, just didn't address the one I brought up. That's what I meant. I wasn't saying that no one had offered anything constructive.

Hope that clears it up.

Cheers.
Totally makes sense now. thanx for clarifying. sorry to misread ya!

Random thoughts . . .

No posession that I own is more valuable than my relationship with my friends . . . a chainsaw is valuable, but a good friend who will drop everything to get me out of a bind is priceless.

Lesson learned . . . me . . . I would still lend out tools in the future . . . but I would be very careful to send the proper fuel and oil and instructions with the tools.

You have a good friend . . . he stepped up and did the right thing.

No doubt, Jake. He's actually the ONLY good guy that I work with. If there was any animosity , I definitely wouldve just eaten the saw and let it be. Its all good. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.