So my local oil guy called me this evening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
See answers at end of questions:

Thanks for the reply. smile How do you have it vented out through a chimney? Pellet vent pipe only, 3". Do you have a lining in the chimney 4” pipe? N/A. Are you pulling outside air option to pull air from the outside. Not needed, IMO- unit is located in open basement.

You have the system in your basement also? Yes. May I ask how much you payed for your Hydroflex60? $4500, not including installation parts such as heat exchanger, etc. You also used to have wood pellet stove.. Still do, new this year. How much do you think you are saving by using the Hydroflex instead of gas? Unit will have paid for itself at the end of this season. How old is your house? 2002. What type of pellets do you like? Anything good! spend $$$ on the good stuff, unless you like ash and low heat. How much? Burned 5 tons last year, if that's what you mean? Do you know anyone else that has a hydroflex? Nope, but there are members here with PF100's.

Thanks so much for your help and detail

No Problem!

I am looking to get an insert because of our propane company. In my neck of the woods they get an easement from the builder and own the tank. Then only that company can fill that tank. Of course you can buy a second and do business with another company...or get a pellet stove. Our company has a minimum usage of 150 gallons a year or they drain and cap the tank.

Our oil guy was whining because we do not buy enough oil from them. we do use oil along with pellets, but only about 200 gallons a year. This year we installed a thermostat for our prescott stove and are working on ways to route the pellet heat better. We are hoping to minimize the oil further.

I've been getting oil from the guy with the lowest price and found a separate heating guy. That stinks about not being able to remove a tank that's on your property, if that's the case.

btuser said:
We ALL get calls this time of year for propane/oil. Why? Because the price is about to drop!
They know better than anyone when the most profitable time to fill their customer's tanks will be. That's why I always refuse auto delivery.

Same here. My first house had oil heat and I always loved the end of the season scam if you were on automatic fill. If you were not on auto fill and called for a delivery, there was a minimum of a 150 gals., but if you were on auto fill, at the end of the season, before the price dropped, they'd go around and top off everyone's tanks, then they had no problem only delivering 50, 75, 100 gals.

We have natural gas, which is no bargain either. It's going to be our first year with a stove - and I'm looking forward to seeing it take a bite out of the energy company's bill.

velvetfoot said:
I've been getting oil from the guy with the lowest price and found a separate heating guy. That stinks about not being able to remove a tank that's on your property, if that's the case.

yep that is the case. I even have to provide "free and friendly access" to it for reqular inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.