So my stovetop thermo went missing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mroverkill

Feeling the Heat
Aug 10, 2010
Northern nj
overkillauto.com
Was getting ready to startup the 4300 for a light burn to get it ready and noticed my stovetop thermo was missing. I head down to the store where i bought the stove and pickup so the gauge say yellow till 350 350-525 green and red from 525 up.

i asked them why are the temps so low and she said what do you mean she said that anything over 525 is considered overfiring.

now i might be wrong but i swore under 400 was when you get the buildup and 500-550 is a good temp and i thought the 4300 can be run at 600 day in and day out and anything above that was getting into overfire

I can't say for sure on your stove but 525 for an overfire sounds pretty darned low. It would seem you are correct with the 600 figure and most stoves can be run even higher. Ours, for example can run to 700.

Dunno, but most of the thermometers are scaled for single wall stove/connector pipe. In that case, an external reading of 525F on single wall connector pipe could be considered an "overfire". Perhaps that is what the person at the store was alluding too and assumed everyone was on the same page.

Well, was it stove top or flue? Makes a difference.

it was for a stovetop and i made sure i told them STOVETOP

Check your stove manual..most manuals will give you a number that the manufacturer considers an overfire condition. Runnin 525 on a stovetop thermo is no way an overfire condition. Would love to keep the stove cruisin 525 all day long,,,550 even better....good luck

thats the thing quarda fire dosent have a # to go by i think i need to contact THEM to get a # what they say is good to run at shoot last year it was crusin at 550 most times

Mroverkill said:
thats the thing quarda fire dosent have a # to go by i think i need to contact THEM to get a # what they say is good to run at shoot last year it was crusin at 550 most times

If stove temperature is so critical, how could they not give us those numbers? That means they could not void warranty for over fire if they don't write down what overfire temps are so we can keep it in check.

There's a difference between burning zones on stove pipe and stove top thermometers. Your better off ordering one of each from Condar.

If 525F is in fact overfire for a steel plate stove, I'm in a world of hurt. Unless I am burning something akin to a single sheet of newspaper, I can't keep the Endeavor under 600F!

thats what im saying well i emailed quadrafire soi can get there OFFICAL # um keep it under 200 and youll be fine hehe

I don't care what the shop told you, but that is a single wall stove pipe thermo. It will work fine on the stove top, just ignore the "zones".

Jags said:
I don't care what the shop told you, but that is a single wall stove pipe thermo. It will work fine on the stove top, just ignore the "zones".

That is correct. As long as it has numbers on it. Those numbers aren't tweeked for pipe or stovetop. They are real numbers. Many of us have checked them with our IR guns. Most are within 50 deg.

One of these days these companies will realize that EPA stoves run hotter, especially during the secondary burn period. And different stoves are going to have different stove top temps depending on their construction and the wood burned. For example, the Castine burned in the 550-600 range while our T6 like to cruise at 650-700 with a full belly.

from QUADRA FIRE

Thank you for your inquiry,

As this is an EPA high efficiency clean burning unit the low number really doesn’t matter however; 600 should be about the max.

Customer service

Mroverkill said:
As this is an EPA high efficiency clean burning unit the low number really doesn’t matter however; 600 should be about the max.

Customer service

600? *snicker, snicker*. RIiiiight. What I would call a "cruise" temp for the Isle Royale exceeds this.

lol had it crusin at 500-550 last night and i wasent pushing it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.