So, split wood takes up more cubic feet than rounds....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
Just got off the phone with a wood supplier. He is selling wood for $150 per cord (not bad...if it is an actual cord). I said I am interested in uncut rounds and he says they have them for $60 per pickup truck load.

I questioned the price saying that split wood tightly packed in a full size pickup is only about 1/3 of a cord. Uncut rounds wouldn't be more than that (in fact, it would be less as we know) so why is it that uncut rounds comes out to $180-200 per cord and split wood is $150.

"No!" says the supplier. "Once you split those rounds a pickup truck load will give you nearly a cord of wood", he says with confidence.

"Yeah, good luck with that" says I.

this depends on the pick up I have seen a cord of rounds on a pick up. and if your stacking splitts a 1/2 cord no problem with a 3/4 ton just I depends on the truck

smokinjay said:
this depends on the pick up I have seen a cord of rounds on a pick up. and if your stacking splitts a 1/2 cord no problem with a 3/4 ton just I depends on the truck

Either way split wood does not equal to MORE than rounds. A 1/3 cord of rounds does not equal to 'nearly' 1 cord of split wood.

BrowningBAR said:
smokinjay said:

Either way split wood does not equal to MORE than rounds. A 1/3 cord of rounds does not equal to 'nearly' 1 cord of split wood.

he selling it by the pick up load and your talking cords you two are on differnt pages here.His pick up load could be alot more wood then you think

smokinjay said:
BrowningBAR said:
smokinjay said:

he selling it by the pick up load and your talking cords you two are on differnt pages here.

Again, I'll repeat the first post: he is selling wood for $150 per cord delivered. Or I can pick up split rounds for $60 a pick up truck load with his claim that 1/3 of a cord of rounds is nearly a cord when split.

You would have to be an idiot to think that:
1. that is a good deal
2. that a 1/3 of a cord of rounds equals a cord of split wood

ok ok "$60 per pickup truck load" could be a good deal with the right pick up. "you can get more wood on a truck in bigger rounds then you can splits"

i would have gone one up with him and said "so you are advertising a cord of wood for 150, but you just admited a pickup will hold NEARLY a cord???"

BrowningBAR said:
Just got off the phone with a wood supplier. He is selling wood for $150 per cord (not bad...if it is an actual cord). I said I am interested in uncut rounds and he says they have them for $60 per pickup truck load.

I questioned the price saying that split wood tightly packed in a full size pickup is only about 1/3 of a cord. Uncut rounds wouldn't be more than that (in fact, it would be less as we know) so why is it that uncut rounds comes out to $180-200 per cord and split wood is $150.

"No!" says the supplier. "Once you split those rounds a pickup truck load will give you nearly a cord of wood", he says with confidence.

"Yeah, good luck with that" says I.

His pickup load blowing up magically into a cord aside, I'm not convinced that rounds take up more room - nicely stacked, cut to length as compared to even tightly stacked. In my mind I'm seeing more air space when stacked....

Maybe only 10-20% more, but I don't see it being less...

Tell him you'll pay him $130 in ones. If he looks at you funny, just tell him that a stack of ones is MUCH bigger than a stack of tens............

NP

split wood takes up more space than rounds. You can't pack splits into a space as tight as they are in when they are rounds.

Generally, it's possible to fit close to half a cord of splits into 1 large pickup truck. You definitely aren't going to fit a cord of rounds, but half a cord is feasible.

You could also show up at the place with a ram 4500 or f-450 too, and really clean up on that deal.

karri0n said:
split wood takes up more space than rounds. You can't pack splits into a space as tight as they are in when they are rounds.

Generally, it's possible to fit close to half a cord of splits into 1 large pickup truck. You definitely aren't going to fit a cord of rounds, but half a cord is feasible.

You could also show up at the place with a ram 4500 or f-450 too, and really clean up on that deal.

This is correct. Unsplit is tighter, less space.

And an additional note ... when it comes to odd sized loads and such I get out the tape. Measure height, width and depth in inches then calculate as follows ... H x W x D = X then divide X / 1728 and that will give you the cubic feet of the load.

Last year, I was buying wood from a fellow for $75 / pickup load (standard 8ft bed)...cut rounds, delivered. He packed it in TIGHT. After splitting and stacking, it yielded 3/4 cord per load.

i guess i am crazy but wood in the round leaves you with unsable space therefore you "get your" monies worth when its c/s....
when rounds are neatly stacked it still leaves space in between therefore you lose volume... when splits are tightly packed you have more volume
throwing splits in the back of a truck is about the same as having rounds (quantity) when you neatly stack split wood in a 8 bed pickup its half a cord (if you have 4 ft walls its a full cord)
if you put rounds in a pickup to the same height there is no way its equal .

Ice, If I have a 4' round cut 16" for the length it would be approx. 1/6th of a cord. Now split this round and restack it and you will have more than 1/6th of a cord.
Thomas

karri0n said:

Respectfully disagree...Big Rounds leave big gaps of space....not an expert stacker, but I would be willing to bet that I can fit more split wood in a pickup than rounds.

ilikewood said:
karri0n said:

Respectfully disagree...Big Rounds leave big gaps of space....not an expert stacker, but I would be willing to bet that I can fit more split wood in a pickup than rounds.
i'll take that bet

smokinjay said:
ilikewood said:
karri0n said:

i'll take that bet
Fine with me, next time you are in the area I can check out your saw collection :)
What I am saying, is that if you have some pretty substantial rounds, you are going to have some big air gaps, and you could reasonably fit more stacked wood in the same cubif foot area than in rounds. If you are talkin 10" diameter rounds I agree with you....if you are talking 20-30" rounds I disagree.

seriously, I'm reading here that there are quite a few guys around that thought they had more peas on their plate because they were spread around. I thought we all grew out of that! You don't think there is as much space in a stack of splits, but you are wrong, there is more empty space. What if I told you that the average house has enough air leaks to equal the size of an open window?

Someone do some searching around here, there is a nice picture of this that someone ran on some computer and it illustrates that split wood takes up more space than the same wood in the round. I swear i saw it just last burning season.

Danno77 said:
seriously, I'm reading here that there are quite a few guys around that thought they had more peas on their plate because they were spread around. I thought we all grew out of that! You don't think there is as much space in a stack of splits, but you are wrong, there is more empty space. What if I told you that the average house has enough air leaks to equal the size of an open window?

Someone do some searching around here, there is a nice picture of this that someone ran on some computer and it illustrates that split wood takes up more space than the same wood in the round. I swear i saw it just last burning season.

iam trying to find it

I did my own research when asked to supply some campfire wood.
The more it was split, the smaller the stacks got.
eg: It took more than a cord of rounds to = a cord of splits and it took even more to equal a cord of more finely split campfire wood.
Don't rely on someone else's research, do your own.

ilikewood said:
smokinjay said:
ilikewood said:
karri0n said:

i'll take that bet
Fine with me, next time you are in the area I can check out your saw collection :)
What I am saying, is that if you have some pretty substantial rounds, you are going to have some big air gaps, and you could reasonably fit more stacked wood in the same cubif foot area than in rounds. If you are talkin 10" diameter rounds I agree with you....if you are talking 20-30" rounds I disagree.

sure sesms that way just not the case the only time I have blown the side wall out of the trailer is big rounds thats when i got my frist clue sounds like a 10 gauge mag going off. You are just putty in more weight...........once the puzzle is broke it never goes back as tight as it was

Danno77 said:

If you stack tightly, then yes I disgree with you.
Say you have a truck bed 4x8...18" high just to make it easy...you have 20" rounds to haul that are 18" high.....how many can you fit in your truck bed without going over the 18"?....I will split them and fit more in that bed than you can in rounds...Iceman,...help me out here :)
Not trying to start a contest here, but if you only have a limited amount of room to work with....which most trucks/trailer do..you can fit more splits than rounds....

Status
Not open for further replies.