So, split wood takes up more cubic feet than rounds....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I take a 25" round and split it into 8 won't the 8 splits will take up more room then the round did? I don't think I could ever stack it as tight as mother nature did. :)

rdust said:
If I take a 25" round and split it into 8 won't the 8 splits will take up more room then the round did? I don't think I could ever stack it as tight as mother nature did. :)

thats for sure that puzzle will never go back as tight

rdust said:

Do it with a cord and report back.
I know, too much work.

kenny chaos said:
Do it with a cord and report back.
I know, too much work.

My stacks always seem to grow when I split but I also don't worry about making my stacks tight. I'm not much for puzzles and I hate stacking wood. :) I only have about 10 rounds right now, if I get time this weekend maybe I'll stack/measure then split and stack/measure again.

kenny chaos said:
I did my own research when asked to supply some campfire wood.
The more it was split, the smaller the stacks got.
eg: It took more than a cord of rounds to = a cord of splits and it took even more to equal a cord of more finely split campfire wood.
Don't rely on someone else's research, do your own.

lol i done 23 since april no ?

This is the most scientific examination I have seen (courtesy Edthedawg)- shows about 10-12% more volume when wood is split/stacked. Of course there are quite a few variables to how it is stacked in rounds or splits.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/30917/#326165

index.php

BrowningBAR said:
Just got off the phone with a wood supplier. He is selling wood for $150 per cord (not bad...if it is an actual cord). I said I am interested in uncut rounds and he says they have them for $60 per pickup truck load.

I questioned the price saying that split wood tightly packed in a full size pickup is only about 1/3 of a cord. Uncut rounds wouldn't be more than that (in fact, it would be less as we know) so why is it that uncut rounds comes out to $180-200 per cord and split wood is $150.

"No!" says the supplier. "Once you split those rounds a pickup truck load will give you nearly a cord of wood", he says with confidence.

"Yeah, good luck with that" says I.

I can get a cord in my truck with 1' side racks.

The bed is 2.5 (with racks)x6x8, which is 120sq ft. I figure the other 8 sq ft are in the mound.

It'd be impossible to fit a cord in a standard long bed without racks.

Anyone who had split wood should know after being split it will take up more space than before it was split. I think the average is 15 to 20 % more volume after split.
If you don't believe me bring me a pickup full of wood and I will show you .... if you can fit all the split wood in less space you can take it with if not you leave it with me.
The deal with your wood guy all depends on what kind of pickup and how he loads it . My buddy next door fills his f250 8'bed with a heaping load and after splitting it's around 3/4 of a cord

I am sure we all agree on the fact that both the round and the splits from that round have the same amount of wood. It is just the air space that increases.

Debating round vs. split size difference aside, It still factors that it's accepted for the most part that a pickup can hold half a cord of wood. The seller is being somewhat honest, and somewhat selling you. You aren't going to fit a cord of wood into a pickup, but it's more than 1/3 cord. The money you save is probably not worth it with all the labor of splitting those rounds.

kenny chaos said:
I did my own research when asked to supply some campfire wood.
The more it was split, the smaller the stacks got.
eg: It took more than a cord of rounds to = a cord of splits and it took even more to equal a cord of more finely split campfire wood.
Don't rely on someone else's research, do your own.

thats what i thought....
last year my wood guy was happy bringing me a load he says thats about 2.5 cords ... i say thats alot of wood but when i split and stack i will call you back... now his truck is 4x8x12 and these rounds were about 3 ft high he figured by math 2.25- 2.5
by the time i split 1.8
a cord by def is tightly stacked 4x4x8 those numbers equal sqs-- a rectangle you can not take rounds and make them "sq" meaning if i take 30 rounds and stack them you can see through them if you take splits and stack tight, its a wall! i know for me, i get more in the truck when they are split vs rd...

cozy heat said:
This is the most scientific examination I have seen (courtesy Edthedawg)- shows about 10-12% more volume when wood is split/stacked. Of course there are quite a few variables to how it is stacked in rounds or splits.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/30917/#326165

index.php

this is exactly the point.... those rounds cannot be moved thats it... those splits can be placed much tighter than what in the pic! when you get a GOOD wood guy they will tightly stack in the truck
the pic shows 3 rows of wood.... if stacked right you could get 3.5-4 rows in there all day

good wood guy doesnt have all day to make sure them splits are nice and neat-n-pretty just doesnt happen ever! if that where the case it would be 200.00 for a cord and another 200 so we get you a perfect stack job! and I will still get more rounds in a truck than splits.lol

smokinjay said:
good wood guy doesnt have all day to make sure them splits are nice and neat-n-pretty just doesnt happen ever! if that where the case it would be 200.00 for a cord and another 200 so we get you a perfect stack job! and I will still get more rounds in a truck than splits.lol

around here, a good wood guy with a 6x8 truck will neatly stack the wood in the truck and sell it as a 1.5 cords or 1 cord if the wood is loose... many "uneducated" or "thieves" I call them uneducated because they just don't know, will fill that same truck loose and charge for 1.5 cords because the just use the numbers 4x6x8 =192

i didnt mean to offend you if i did ........ i hope this clarifies what i was trying to explain .... BUT THAT is only for most guys that have a 350 dump with 4ft sides... guys with bigger trucks dont stack they usually use bobcats or tractors

iceman said:
smokinjay said:

around here, a good wood guy with a 6x8 truck will neatly stack the wood in the truck and sell it as a 1.5 cords or 1 cord if the wood is loose... many "uneducated" or "thieves" I call them uneducated because they just don't know, will fill that same truck loose and charge for 1.5 cords because the just use the numbers 4x6x8 =192

i didnt mean to offend you if i did ........ i hope this clarifies what i was trying to explain .... BUT THAT is only for most guys that have a 350 dump with 4ft sides... guys with bigger trucks dont stack they usually use bobcats or tractors

no problem I don't think for the most part people that are selling wood are thieves there is just much eazier way to steal. Most problems are just confessing on both parts.Heck this theard is 50/50, so I dont always think the customer is right or the wood dealer find that middle ground and sell them a cord of wood! lol

I am with the guys that think that the wood expands as you split it. The additional air space will give you more volume. You can put one huge rock in a dumptruck that will max out its payload. When you crush that rock into gravel and max out the payload of the truck you will have a much fuller box. IF the gravel is uniform you will get a 30% void ratio. Nomatter how finely you smash the gravel, even to sand, you will have the same 30% void ratio so long as the stones are the same size.

A truckload of logs going down the road will make way more volume in firewood nomatter how you stack it.

i see the points you make but lets use water... take five gallons of wter still in the container most people are hard pressed to fit that many in the sink... right????? now pour five gallons in the sink.... your sink might be half way full...... log for log split for split do logs have more wood ... yes however in the shape that you try to stack/store you cant use the entire space .. when you split you can use the entire space as long as it is done like a puzzle not just throwing it in... therefore you can fit more.... that is just science.. we apply it to many other things... " i can fit 5 of these but if i lay this down or turn it now i can fit 8"

iceman said:
i see the points you make but lets use water... take five gallons of wter still in the container most people are hard pressed to fit that many in the sink... right????? now pour five gallons in the sink.... your sink might be half way full...... log for log split for split do logs have more wood ... yes however in the shape that you try to stack/store you cant use the entire space .. when you split you can use the entire space as long as it is done like a puzzle not just throwing it in... therefore you can fit more.... that is just science.. we apply it to many other things... " i can fit 5 of these but if i lay this down or turn it now i can fit 8"

lol its a great story.

iceman said:
yes however in the shape that you try to stack/store you cant use the entire space .. when you split you can use the entire space as long as it is done like a puzzle not just throwing it in..

I can't see anyone who is making money from wood taking the time to stack wood like a "puzzle" for delivery. Just tossing wood in and making it somewhat neat is time consuming enough. Even if you try to stack it like a "puzzle" splits don't stack tight. You have splits that are just halved, splits with knots, splits with twisted grain, splits like elm that are stringy etc.

Now, if someone would just use the words "Fiskars" and "cat" we'd have a real flame war!

Pagey said:
Now, if someone would just use the words "Fiskars" and "cat" we'd have a real flame war!

Trouble maker! :lol:

rdust said:
iceman said:
yes however in the shape that you try to stack/store you cant use the entire space .. when you split you can use the entire space as long as it is done like a puzzle not just throwing it in..

I can't see anyone who is making money from wood taking the time to stack wood like a "puzzle" for delivery. Just tossing wood in and making it somewhat neat is time consuming enough. Even if you try to stack it like a "puzzle" splits don't stack tight. You have splits that are just halved, splits with knots, splits with twisted grain, splits like elm that are stringy etc.

thats why i called them the "good guys" many do not but around here there are some.... and that is how they "prove" you are getting what you pay for
others toss it in and tell you that a loose filled truck is equal to a cord...
others have a dump with 2 ft rails and it is piled high in the middle and the clain its a cord manys times you get shorted by those

When I stack the wood that I split with my Fiskars, there is no air space between the splits..........

And yes, I have a cat stove...... :cheese:

NP

Status
Not open for further replies.