So splitting is very lucrative

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drozenski

Aug 14, 2010
Rochester NY
So as the demand for wood as been low as of now and im running out of space to stack my wood i have been running a new add on cragslist.

Cutting to length, splitting and stacking.

Im charging $35 an hour to either cut or split and $15 an hour for stacking.

I have had calls left and right! :bug:

Just finished my first job. Lady had a large red oak dropped. Ended up splitting 3.5 cords. totaled out to $400 bucks with tip for 10 hours of work.. That's twice what i make at my normal job.. LOL

My next 3 weekends are booked solid. Moneys great as the baby doctor is brutal on the bank account. Nothing is covered under insurance :(

Good thinking, what are you using for a splitter?

That's a win-win. You get $40/hr minus expenses, she got 7 or $800 in firewood and her yard cleaned up. I'm not sure how I'd feel sinking my saw into a big red oak that I knew I wasn't taking home though.

I've been thinking about trying this...you've convinced me, now if I can just find the time!

SolarAndWood said:
I'm not sure how I'd feel sinking my saw into a big red oak that I knew I wasn't taking home though.

I hear ya....Cant remember the last time I used my saws for someone else (no matter how big or small the job) & left the wood with them.

Thistle said:
SolarAndWood said:
I'm not sure how I'd feel sinking my saw into a big red oak that I knew I wasn't taking home though.

I hear ya....Cant remember the last time I used my saws for someone else (no matter how big or small the job) & left the wood with them.

Yes that wood be ODD!

Good on ya, man. Nothing like offering an honest service. And evidently a needed service if you are already booked solid. Nothing like a little extra pocket money.

Good deal. sounds like a great side job. Do you have to carry insurance ?

drozenski said:
So as the demand for wood as been low as of now and im running out of space to stack my wood i have been running a new add on cragslist.

Cutting to length, splitting and stacking.

Im charging $35 an hour to either cut or split and $15 an hour for stacking.

I have had calls left and right! :bug:

Just finished my first job. Lady had a large red oak dropped. Ended up splitting 3.5 cords. totaled out to $400 bucks with tip for 10 hours of work.. That's twice what i make at my normal job.. LOL

My next 3 weekends are booked solid. Moneys great as the baby doctor is brutal on the bank account. Nothing is covered under insurance :(

Nice going Drozenski! That should more than pay for the baby doctor. I am amazed at you being booked for the next 3 weekends but for sure, you have to make hay when the sun shines. My bet is that word will also spread that this guy did a great job for me and you will be getting referral calls. You may have to slack off in order to enjoy some of the summer months! Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.