So, That is what hot means???!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sons924

Burning Hunk
Mar 7, 2013
Last night i started to get more of the break in smell after two years of not smelling it. I know my VC Montpelier was at it's highest temp its ever been. The infarred thermometer said 400-420 at the top of the door. I'm guessing that means i was burning in the 800 degree range? It was a really clean burn throwing out serious heat. Too hot? Or burning like it should? Air was 3/4 down

Sounds like it just found 5th gear. Enjoy the heat.

Each stove is very different. My old VC Resolute would hit 800 often enough when measured on the top with an IR gun and I like to have it 650 range when it was very cold outside.

I'm not sure that 400 on the door means 800 unless you mean the flue temps. One common sense rule is that if your stove is glowing with the room lights off, it is too hot.:ZZZ

I think that anytime you reach a recently new high temperature, you're going to get a smell from whatever dust etc. has accumulated on the surface and is now getting toasted.

TE

what temperature is pushing an over fire when read on the door?
I am adding 150-200 to what I read at the door. The highest I have seen so far is 484.

I have a Montpellier and when everything is perfect I have seen 575-600 at the top of the door. I like it in that range but it is more commonly in the 450 range. I just checked my morning fire it's 528

Wow 600 that has to be at least 750 stove top no?

It's a flush mount so you can't read the stovetop. If you shoot the laser into the opening the the blower pushes the air out of the temps are 300-350 range. It is at 585 on the top of the door now and that is fully closed with an E/W load of poplar

I know I have a flush insert also. I take a read with IR gun right above the door where body of the stove meets the door and the surround. I add to it a 200df and I figure it should be a ball park of my stove top temp. I am planing on puting a thermo couple if I will keep this stove.

My reading is right on the door frame top 1/2" above the glass

I have a much different stove but I burn at 800°F on the stovetop on a daily regular basis.

I hear ya. I have the Inferno stove top therm and even though the manual for the insert says dont go over 840 whenever it crosses over into the "red" on the therm (650+) i start to watch it like a hawk. Maybe I'm being a little too paranoid?

I have never checked my temps. when its cold I burn it hot.
I still can get a hint of the break in smell every now and then.
Enjoy the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.