So there I was, eyeing a pretty nice bed of coals...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

runningmike

Aug 12, 2008
Adirondacks
...and I sez to myself, 'Self, I wonder if a guy could set up a dutch oven in there???'
Thoughts?

Mike

sure could !

Many's the time I've looked at the secondary combustion chamber and wondered what you could do with the heat available there. I run 1300 to 1400 degrees outside the combustion zone, and around 2500 degrees below the nozzle.

Probably could do perfect marshmallows in 2.7 milliseconds if nothing else.

nofossil said:
Many's the time I've looked at the secondary combustion chamber and wondered what you could do with the heat available there. I run 1300 to 1400 degrees outside the combustion zone, and around 2500 degrees below the nozzle.

What are you using to measure your inside-the-boiler temperatures?

I have been tempted to try to fire a small piece of pottery right where the nice blue flame comes down. I think the temp range is about right. I would hate to see what a burst air pocket would do to my Tarm though!

MrEd said:
nofossil said:

What are you using to measure your inside-the-boiler temperatures?

Inconel jacketed type K thermocouple, located between the outlet of my combustion labyrinth and the water jacket. I also have a flue temp thermocouple.

Attachments

• pb130186.jpg
    pb130186.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 407
  • pb130187.jpg
    pb130187.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 380
OK, that thread ran away quick!
I'm just thinking about baking up some apple pie in the woodmaster; wondering if anybody's been so foolish???? (fuelish?)

Mike

FWIW, you'll need about 2100-2200 to reach cone 6 or so for high fire stoneware.

Mike

I’m just thinking about baking up some apple pie in the woodmaster

I know of at least 2 cookbooks devoted to the art of cooking in the engine compartment of cars on long trips. One even featured a multi-course Thanksgiving dinner (long trip, I guess). I think there is a publishing opportunity here.

Forget hours of slow cooking! Gassifier Power! Woodfire's answer to the microwave!

(Caution, contents may be hot)

DaveBP

You mean "Caution, contents may have been gasified!

Maybe I will stick a baked potato in there, see what happens....
maybe a mini labrinth or insert could be made to place a steak in there. It should sear nicely!

Status
Not open for further replies.