The wife's from AR, we're in WA, and I'm from MD. It's a military thing. So we're looking to buy a house, our credit isn't great, or good, yet. We just paid all of her debt 2-3 months ago to boost hers up to buy a house. Still waiting for all of the score changes. Me, her, and her middle son. We were looking at 2-3 bedrooms, outside the city, on some land. I want cheap, cheap cheap. Lots, probably mostly manufactured homes (double/single wides) outside the city, almost no one finances those. So... I found a great place IMO. 2 bed, 1 bath, nearly 900sqft on 1 acre outside of town for $45k. It's small, but it's just us three. I thought, possibly add an addition, 3rd bedroom with master bath and whole 9 yards. $20k? Won't feel so cramped. I can do a lot of the work, it's not a great house, but I can do just about everything to it. Here's my plan, live there for 4-5 years, we'll both be going to school. Then look for a new place, rent this one out. I'm assuming 3-4 hundred a month for mortgage, rent it for 600 or so. I've been adamant about this property. It's what I want. I'm moving there, for her. NP, I like AR, I'm excited to move. HOWEVER, out of the blue, I realize she's looking at 3 bedrooms because she's assuming her oldest, (now 17) will be moving back in with us (he's been down there for 6-7 months). Well that's a whole new ballgame. I wanted a cheap house, I wanted an investment. In 5 years I want to be way further financially than we are right now. So now obviously we need a 3 bedroom, at least. There's a property she really wants that's 90k, still 2 bed 1 bath, 1200 something sqft on .44 acre, in the city, but with a basement her son could stay in. Its a nice house, very nice. But not on our list of what we wanted. It's not outside the city, not on property, and not cheap. So what do I do. She has a problem just jumping at things, shiny objects (figuratively). This won't get us where I want to be 5 years from now. We won't be able to rent it for enough (I'm assuming 6-7 hundred a month for us) it MAY rent for 800-1000. But I don't just want to cover mortgage. You need a few thousand tucked away for just in case, some to put back into the property, and some profit. IMO, this'll just be where we are now. Except renting, we'll own it.. well sort of. I dunno, I'm upset. I don't see progression with this other place, we won't be any better off, except we'll be owning it. I don't want to be house poor. But obviously we NEED a 3 bedroom. Oh and the 1 thing going for this 3 bedroom is that he'll rent it for 6 months until our credit score finishes going up. And it's a place we can move into right now, instead of renting renting for a while. Then we can buy, that way we for sure get approved, and for a better rate. Thoughts? I just feel like ranting. It's been stressful. Oh and BTW until 2 weeks ago, we were planning on staying here in WA. It's been back and forth for over a year. Well, she's back and forth. I don't care, I just want to settle down.