So what happens if you don't have 1/4" per foot in a horizontal pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Bommer

Dec 19, 2012
Kewaskum, Wi.
So after all the comments I received about having a 1/4 inch rise per foot of horizontal pipe, today was really nice so I took off the end cap and slid my 4 foot level in the pipe and found out my contractor made this section level. Thought I could of trusted my contractor, especially since he told me he needed to add the rise before the installation, I was wrong. I have been fighting this for 2 1/2 years:( Now I am wondering if this has been my main issue from the beginning. I am also troubled that I have found nothing in the Englander or the Selkirk Dual Temp manuals, but I have read this warning from every other stove manufacture. I really appreciate all the help to get me to start researching along this line. Stove pipe is really a science.

Unfortunately I have a basement install through a concrete wall and a 4" finish wall (over 12" thick)so there not much I can do until the weather changes. The thimble was concreted in so when I tried to see if I could move the pipe by hanging all 275 pounds off of it, nothing budged. So I am stuck until I can bust it all apart and re install it then.

Now I know I have this issue I was wondering if any one had advice on how I can get the best out of my 55-TRPEP stove until I can fix it right. Mostly likely early spring. I guess I am fortunate that I get good fire on heat range "2", so its better then nothing.

Also I was wrong from before I don't have 4 foot horizontal run, its a 3 foot run. I guess that's a little good new for me today.

IMO it would just probly require more frequent cleanings.

I am doing that now. If its only a matter of ash, after 3 weeks and 30 bags I only had about 1/8 inch of ash in a 4 inch pipe from today's cleaning. I really don't think that would kill my exhaust. Also even if I have to run a brush every week really not the end of the world.

3 ft horizontal thats level.... No worries.

1/4" wont gain you much.

i doubt you would notice. My Shop stove has 5' vert and 4' horiz, no 1/4" rise per ft on it. I messed up my measurement and said screw it, all is well with the world

Ash in the vent and back pressure are the two things that having a rise will relieve. A four inch vent can take a lot more ash before it causes a problem than a 3" vent the back pressure is really helped by rise.

Air flow problems usually turn out to be several small things. No single one of which is the so called smoking gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.