SO what insert to pick!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jqgs214

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2006
Riverhead, NY
Well, since i refuse to install a DW2500 in my fireplace ever again, what stove do I buy?? Maybe I can get them to replace it with a winter warm small? hmmmmm....

Nah, they aren't very good heaters from what I've heard.

What are the choice criteria? Steel, cast iron? Catalytic? Non-cat?

Bummer, wxman. What are the fireplace dimensions? Will the dealer give you credit for the DW2500? Are you trying to buy from the same dealer? If yes, what other lines do they carry? Hampton or Jotul? If steel, I'd consider a PE, Englander, Country, Quadrafire & Lopi.

After saying "At this point I want nothing to do with VC ever again." - I'm assuming you were being facetious about the WinterWarm.

Well, May have to go with the VC becuase I might not get my money back but only a replacement with another stove. Dealer deals with lennox too but dont want one of those. He suggested the winterwarm. May need to go to court if I want a full refund. Warranty doesnt state that I can get a refund but if I get consumer affairs involved who knows. I'm also completely open to any stove material. Kinda wanted to stay away from cat but am open right now. Lets just say I can be convinced to get anything thats not a DW2500!!

Just as an idle thought, WxMan, do you do weather for a media outlet, like a TV station, or maybe a newspaper? If so, do they have a "consumer problem" type show? If you decide to call out the "heavy artillery" I would think trying to get the reporter for that show involved might be useful. It's not the same as having a "60 Minutes" team showing up at the door, but I know that if I was a corporate mgr type and a consumer affairs reporter called up, I'd be looking at trying to make the problem "go away" just to avoid the bad press...

Gooserider

wxman said:
Well, May have to go with the VC becuase I might not get my money back but only a replacement with another stove. Dealer deals with lennox too but dont want one of those. He suggested the winterwarm. May need to go to court if I want a full refund. Warranty doesnt state that I can get a refund but if I get consumer affairs involved who knows. I'm also completely open to any stove material. Kinda wanted to stay away from cat but am open right now. Lets just say I can be convinced to get anything thats not a DW2500!!

I also have the Jotul C450 Kennebec and it's great. If I didn't buy that one I was going to get the WWL.

Avalon Olymppic

Regency-Hampton.

Avalon OLYMPIC!

Titan

Wood burning only.

In the price range that the Dutchwest was in I would look at Napoleaon.

Todd said:
Harman Exception

That Exception insert is weird. All of the firebox space that is available with the free standing version, because it is a top loader, is useless with the insert. It is all up above the door where you can't load it.

Very very true. Because its not a very deep firebox, it is in fact meant to be loading from the top.

It also has those awful looking tile surrounds that Harman seems to be fond of for some unknown reason. Seems you can also get it with some plain jane sheet metal stuff.

Check out the Blaze-king inserts if you aren't opposed to cats(yes they do even burn wood), I've heard they are bomb-proof and they are still prettier than the Harman inserts with those cheezy tile surrounds.Really though, what demographic are they trying to market to with those designs?They look like rejects from "Antiques Roadshow"!

Lopi makes a flush insert that looks really good. Also, PE has the summit in an insert too. Talk about heat!!!!

Carpniels

PS. seriously, go to all the manufactuters websites and write them all down that fit your dimensions. Then have the missus look at them and give you a shortlist of what she like. Then post us that list and we will help you choose. Normally, the one with the largest firebox is best!!!!

Learned my lesson on price, so it is not really going to be a consideration. Fit, looks and heat output will be though. I gotta take the POS out of the fireplace and measure it again and get a list for you all.

I have to put a plug in for the Osburn's. This was my first year with mine, but I am very impressed with the heat output and fire view.

Status
Not open for further replies.