So, What's The Purple Stuff.... Cedar?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Split some of this today from the Sandy scrounges.... ignore the finger upper right :mad:

20130119_153058.jpg

Feels like it'll dry right quick.

Probably cedar, although if it came from Sandy, all kinds of ornamental trees came down.

Figured it was cedar.

Got bunch of it. I'll keep it separate for quick starts.

You'll know what it is by the nice smell that red cedar has .. Hear it burns like gas..

Ray

Hmmm, don't remember a smell. But the pieces before and after were cherry.

Some of it was 6-8" rounds. I'd call it "viney", too. Bark is very dry.

Very nice red cedar, Take some shavings and put them in a jar, place them in various rooms in your home, makes great air freshener, not to mention a nice burning and smelling wood!

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
Great timing on this thread Dix. I'm starting a woodworking project and the pieces that I am using I really had no idea what they were. There were a few nice "burly" looking pieces in the pile that I noodled down to size and saw that the knots had red in them. I went outside and picked up a container of the noodles and they smelled like cedar. I know that there is red and white cedar. I just did not realize red cedar had a lot of whitish wood. Crazy burl figuring on the pieces, just what I needed.

The piece in the pic has a few fresh coats of Danish oil on it so there is a little gloss to them, and the color is darker than normal. I have to call my wood guy to keep his eye out for more of these.

Edit: bark was already removed in the left piece.

IMG_2672.JPG IMG_2674.JPG

I have some wood i got this week that is a pale purple red color. it is hard, heavy, no bark and dry after split . not cedar. dont know what it is

I have some wood i got this week that is a pale purple red color. it is hard, heavy, no bark and dry after split . not cedar. dont know what it is
Could be black walnut. I had some kinda like that not all that long ago, even posted a thread asking what it was, you might be able to find it if you search. I'll look, too.

I dont think it is cedar...cedar has a fantastic smell and the bark does not look right

That is Eastern Red Cedar. The piece in the picture was from a damaged part of the tree so the purple center wood is mottled with white (which is not the normal condition) and the bark is odd looking. Still, I can see it is Red Cedar.

Reactions: Thistle
That is eastern red finger.

Reactions: raybonz
Status
Not open for further replies.