So what's wrong with punky?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleB

Minister of Fire
Mar 4, 2014
NE Wisconsin
A neighbor gave me some elm and box elder rounds that have been laying around a few years. I split it today. About half is firepit wood. I’d describe the other half as starting to get punky, but it still split like green wood (no crumbling). It seemed weaker than green wood, but not resonant like dry wood. A lot of it had some spalting.

I don’t like marginally punky wood, but then I realized that I don’t know if there is actually anything wrong with it.

Is it that it won’t dry properly? But the rounds were already pretty dry and I imagine the splits will finish fine once I stack and top cover.

Is it that the punky passes to the rest of the wood in the stack and causes it to go punky too? But again, the splits are already mostly dry and I’m adding to the top of 15/16 stacks which are already mostly dry.

Is it just that the punky wood has less BTU in it? I can live with that. I’m a firewood beggar not chooser.

Is it just that the punky wood has less BTU in it?

Yep, at least in my opinion. Also, while wood itself isn't a sponge, that punk can be. If the wood is punky, some good cover is a good idea so that it dries out well.

I try to burn my punky wood first thing in the fall. As OP sumrised, less weight = less BTU, but it burns fine once its dry.

I try to not carry punky wood into the spring, Punk that was dry will absorb a LOT of water in a hurry and take a while to dry back out.

I was thinking about this topic today. I have a ton of pine that been down for a few years in an area that i'm trying to clear. I can't stomach burning it where it sits. I split as much I could and will burn it in the fall or mix it in all year. I'm battling to keep it off the ground and getting it covered.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I burnt some red oak last winter that had lay on the ground in log form for an undetermined amount of time. The tree trunk was about 32-36" dia. The outer few inches was a little punky and the center was hollow but the wood in between those two points was relatively normal, only a bit softer and lighter. I split it and threw in in the stacks with a cover on top, it dried quickly and made excellent fuel for those lighter heat load days

Pretty much what everyone else has said... lighter, easier to soak up water, harder to dry out, etc.

The only thing I'd add... it's not necessarily for the shoulder season / low heat days. I've even burnt the stuff when I need high heat. Just do it at a time when you're able to tend the stove. I can shovel my stove full of punky ends and get it just as hot as most anything else. The only difference, a stove load of punky ends may last about an hour, a stove load of hedge would last all night through.

Thanks all for the replies. Makes sense, sounds like I'll be good then. I burn a lot of box elder so I'm used to the quick burn, but a "low BTU" version ought to bring me back to reload frequently!

I finished splitting/stacking the decent stuff today, looks like it's maybe 1/2 face cord so it's not a big deal.

Thanks!

You have to cover punky wood or it will soak up water. Other than that it is fine to burn. If it is very punky then you'll notice a decrease in BTUs. If it is only a little punky you might not notice much difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.