So what's ya favorite wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oldspark said:
Carbon_Liberator said:
Reading all the previous posts the two main characteristics that people are looking for in their fire wood are fast drying, and easy to split. Those two reasons are why I pick lodgepole pine as my wood of choice.
Because of it’s long straight grain trunk and lack of major branches it is very easy to split. As for quick drying, lodgepole pine has every other type of wood beat hands down, not because it’s so quick drying, but because it’s already dry when I cut the trees down.
Thanks to the prolific pine beetle and our arid climate there is an abundance of standing dead lodgepole pines in my area (and most of BC), and as long as I seek out a grove that has been dead for many years, discernable by it’s sparse and withered needles, I can be pretty certain the moisture content of the wood will already be below 20% and ready for burning in the stove as soon as it’s cut. No extra drying (seasoning) time required.

As far as the other characteristics that people look for like fragrance, pine obviously has a great smell, in fact that “fresh pine scent†is a sales feature to many scented products on the market.

And as BTUs go, lodgepole pine is on the top of the softwoods list, and beats out many of the so called hardwoods like cherry, birch, elm and silver maple.

In my book lodgepole pine is the perfect all-round firewood.

BTU reference
Some charts dont list lodgepole that high, chimney sweep has it at 15.1.

They probably have it confused with Jack Pine which is an Eastern cousin of Lodgepole pine, but doesn’t grow the same, or burn the same. I have noticed many Easterners here make the same mistake calling Lodgepole pine Jack pine.
I have burned Elm, birch and maple and they all burn pretty closely to lodge pole, so I can vouch for the accuracy of that Western compiled BTU chart.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Pine

Ironwood - 1
Beech - 2
Sugar Maple - 3

Cherry - 4 / which we burn the most, seems like mother nature brings the Cherry down more than any other tree. Next heating season will be the first that we have more of 2 & 3 then the Cherry.

gibir

I burned a lot of Osage Orange (hedge) last year to mix with the wet oak using at the time. Much better this year. I don't advise doing that. The sparkler show is really cool but one got over my head and made it's mark in the carpet 4 foot away. At any rate, my stacks should get high marks for "diversity". A little of everything out there. Soft/lighter weight types (including soft maples and yes, cotton wood) in warmer weather; high BTU types for cold nights or when striving for plenty of coals at wake up time. :)

I kind of like cherry.

I love ash for how easy it is to split, but hickory gets me through the coldest winter nights.

I mostly burn Oak so that would be my choice just by availability. I am burning Ash for the first time this winter and that is great stuff. I unfortunately do not get much of it.

"I have burned Elm, birch and maple and they all burn pretty closely to lodge pole, so I can vouch for the accuracy of that Western compiled BTU chart"
That's a big 10-4, it seems like no matter how many charts I look at there is always a few types of wood that I disagree with.

IanDad said:
Black Locust. Dries Fast, splits easily, burns long, burns hot, cool sparks when in the stove. Just about the perfect fuel.

I always wondered about the sparks...what causes that...

I'm definitely an Ash man. One time I saw a pickup parked near my log pile so I walked over to see what the guy was up to. He says to me "I was just admiring your Ash", to which I replied "I hope for your sake, that you don't have a speech impediment".

Around here Birch is the #1 choice for most people but I don't like the mess of bark or how I tend to get slivers from handling it. Ash is cleaner, smells nice, splits nice, and is relatively sliver free.

oldspark said:
"I have burned Elm, birch and maple and they all burn pretty closely to lodge pole, so I can vouch for the accuracy of that Western compiled BTU chart"
That's a big 10-4, it seems like no matter how many charts I look at there is always a few types of wood that I disagree with.
Yeah I agree, I guess it’s hard to quantify every type of wood when so many of them are so closely related. If you look at what Wikipedia has to say even with just “Lodgepole pine†there are three main subspecies and they all seem to have their own specific region and growth characteristics. The subspecies I am familiar with, and seems to be the only kind we have around here, is called “ Pinus latifoliaâ€, and judging by what it says on Wikipedia, it is a lot different that the other two subspecies. My latifolia grows tall and straight, but they describe the coastal main species “ Pinus contorta†as growing twisted and bent. That doesn’t sound like it would be easy to split. :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lodgepole_pine

This is my 4th burning season, so I am still a rookie whose not sampled ALL wood species yet.

I prefer OAK (Red) for easy splitting and BTU's. Well seasoned oak is like nuclear fuel in my stove. I can immediately tell oak's heat from other woods I burn.

Other favorites, Cherry, Mulberry, ash, black locust. I have some maple that carried over that is 2 years old. It's made an impression on me vs splits from the same tree I burned last year. This maple was originally seasoned in a HH. At the end of the season, what was left - got restacked into straight rows. Now that it is 2 years old, the splits feel like rock and it burns great. Some BL also carried over and is 2 years old. Good stuff!

There are woods I will pass on. Yes - I am a wood snob. I will run from Elm and drive right past Poplar, big tooth aspen, and other various light weight wood. It's simply not worth processing for the heat it gives, except for shoulder season. With all the wood downed in recent storms - I can afford to pick and choose.

Any deciduous, non-conifer that I can scrounge is a real treat here in the PacNW, but I will pass on poplar and cottonwood. I like madrone which seems to dry quickly, burn hot, and leaves very little ash, but is hard to come by. I really, really like oak when I can get it and when it is dry. Every once in a while I can get cherry and maple; cherry is a close second to oak for me. Then there is the venerable Doug Fir...I'll burn it, but am beginning to pass on the larger dia trees as they have way too many knots and are hard to handle, split, and process. Smaller dia firs, 16-18", are real easy to split and dry.

I burn whats free & around here there is a lot of sugar maple. Nothing to complain about though as this is great wood when dry. Large splits take about 2 years, small ones 6 months, Randy

"Gotton wood" is the best.
Here, Birch is my favorite of the few choices.

James02 said:
IanDad said:
Black Locust. Dries Fast, splits easily, burns long, burns hot, cool sparks when in the stove. Just about the perfect fuel.

I always wondered about the sparks...what causes that...

Termite turds exploding.

Ash is great and so is oak. Either white or red oak is fine with us. We also like soft maple for mix and for spring and fall. We also burn some cherry and elm and a few others but those are the main woods for us. For scent, it is difficult to beat sassafras so I cut some occasionally but it is not the best for burning. Just love the smell of it.

Locust, Oak, Hickory, Beech, Cherry and Maple in that order. Beech is great stuff because the bark is nice and smooth and it seasons fast and burns well. Just not as good as Locust Oak and Hickory. I do get tons of Sassafrass around here, it is super easy to split, smells good but I hate burning it. I like the smell of Cherry even better and it season super quick and burns nice, just not long.

Our area is full of Red and White Oak, a few maples but not much else. I haven't burned anything that is as sweet as oak. Such dense wood. You know when you pick it up. It's three times the weight of anything else I have.

Any wood that is dry and fits in the stove, but mulberry, hack berry, honey locust, and ash are some of my favorites.

i can't always get these but:

1- shagbark hickory
2- honey locust
3- white oak

been burning 2 year seasoned white oak the last couple of weeks.
simply amazing...deep, warm-you-to-your-bones heat, long burn times, lots of dense coals.
if i had my druthers i would have left it season 1 more year since i had no choice but to stack it 4 rows deep.

got about a cord of hickory in the queue...if i've timed it right we should be hitting the hickory about new years day. then its all locust after that. my best year ever in 35 years of burning.

i hear osage is supreme but we never see it around here.

OT

Tie between white birch (splits easy, smells good, bark is kindling, medium heat) and white oak (high heat).

Red oak
Black Locust
White Ash

I nice mix of all three would probably be best.

Being three years ahead, I pass on most everything else now. All of them are easy to hand split and burn very nicely in my Fireview. Black Locust can be tough to get burning, but once it is going it will keep on going for a long time and leave very little ash.

Always like to see Cherry coming off the pile due to it's pleasant odor. It burns nicely too. Like Walnut for similar reasons. At night I want the Oak and Ash for length of burn.

Madrone, Douglas Fir, Big Leaf Maple, Oregon White Ash, Red Alder, Hawthorn. I don't include Oregon White Oak, because the effort for the little bit extra BTU's is not worth it. You get 10% extra BTU's, but it takes twice as long to split, twice as long to season, and it seems twice as heavy. But if it's available, I'll still take Oregon White Oak.

Oregon Bigfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.