So, who has caught a Porcupine before? (Poor little fella didn't make it)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
So, I got this buddy I see every week or so whan I am snowshoeing behind our property.....its about 1 1/2 miles from our house.
I'm 75% of the time I see him/her either grazing or in the den, so I just keep tabs on the little fella from time to time.
Caught a good video (by my crappy camera) and see that my buddy has a problem with a hind leg.
So, me being the Darwin type just say to myself....let it be, if he/her has made it this far, maybe they have adapted.
SSSSSOOOOOO...I tell my wife one day, and the next day she has called me at work.
She called the Tufts Wildlife center that treats wild animals, and if we can catch it we can brng it in for them to rehab/adapt.....OMG...my wife is going batty I tell you.
I ask her, "so, how are we going to hike out on snow shoes for 3 miles, catch a porcupine, and then bring it back to the house"...I know I should have known the answer already as she already has a gameplan involving 1. ) Our 3 boys red sled, 2.) A large rubbermaid container .3) Some snacks for the Porcupine.
I'm just thinking of George Kastanza and the marine biologist episode :)

So, I hate to take out of of its elements, as I think it has adapted to the injury....but I think that we might be able to help it heal...I'd make sure that after rehab we would bring him back to his home. (A turned up rootball/log that I have coord's on my GPS)

What you all think?...Cute little bugger aint he/she?

Good eating too! (gotta be hungry though) has a hint of a pine tree flavor.
Tanned hides make good throw rugs under window, keeps the bears on their toes. :)

porky is one thing i haven't caught. from the vids, looks like no problem though. remember this they can not shoot their quills! i don't know how that ever got started! looks like all you have to do is herd him into the storage bin and by the way he drags that rear leg, it shouldn't be much of a chore. next question...why did you tell your wife? i guess i probably would have too but learning from the past, i'd leave out the injury part. another fine mess you've gotten us into.
my dad always said "leave the porkys alone when you're in the woods. why? someday, you may be lost and without a weapon and need something to eat. you can always kill a porky...thats why they're called dead mans meat around here." my dad always seemed to have a lesson.

OH, the poor little thing!! He probably got caught in a trap. I do hope you or your wife gets him in for rehab.

Get a piece of 8'' stove pipe (if it's real big 10" pipe), screen on one end. (make a wooden box from 1X12, open both ends) you get the picture
Looks like a small one to me.
chase, push it in head first. block the open end , cover with a blanket so it's dark (it'll feel safer) & take him to your local wildlife department.
Find out first if they have a rehab center for injured wildlife. Most states do. They may come & get it even.

They usually have a well packed trail in the snow between trees, they get high centered easy
in deep snow so they are always walking the trail to keep it open when it's snowing.
They strip the bark off spruce trees here, for food in the winter time.
Usually they don't pay you much attention till you are real close. Then they turn their back to you & back up.
The only quick move they have is bounce & spin in circles to keep the working end pointed at you.
Friendly cool critters but dogs beware.

You are all out of your minds.

Let it be for crying out loud. It is not a pet and its life was fine before you came a long. Even if it doesn't life a 'full porcupine life' its just part of the wild life cycle. It could have been that way for so long it doesn't even know any better. Making human contact with it just makes it more of a target for predators. Imagine putting all this time and effort into fixing it and then it gets eaten by coyotes the first day its on its own....

I have only had the displeasure of being up close and personal with one and it was after it made the unfortunate decision to make its home inside my cousin's daughter's play set. Molly and her dog both got quilled before it got lead poisoning....

I'm not suggesting that to you though.

AVIVIII said:
You are all out of your minds.

Let it be for crying out loud. It is not a pet and its life was fine before you came a long. Even if it doesn't life a 'full porcupine life' its just part of the wild life cycle. It could have been that way for so long it doesn't even know any better. Making human contact with it just makes it more of a target for predators. Imagine putting all this time and effort into fixing it and then it gets eaten by coyotes the first day its on its own....

I have only had the displeasure of being up close and personal with one and it was after it made the unfortunate decision to make its home inside my cousin's daughter's play set. Molly and her dog both got quilled before it got lead poisoning....

I'm not suggesting that to you though.

+1

Our last dog was very good at 'catching' pork's. Rifle in the Mrs' hands works very well. Or 12Ga in mine.

Please tell us it's not 'public money' being spent on rehabing this beast?? :-/

I'd let it be.

The one I ate was quite tasty. Roasted it in the chicken roaster, and used the leftovers for a cassarole the next day. 'skinned through the belly. We were so broke we could barelt pay attention. It was from a hardwood forest.

Seems to me you could further damage the injury by trying to catch it. Since it has adapted to it's injury just let it alone. I have no love for these critters as I have had more than 1 trip to the vet for quill removal from my dogs.

i think anyonw that has dogs in a rural setting and lets them run, has had the opportunity to see how good they are at removing quills from dogs mouth, tongue, throat. stupid dogs just can't stay away from something so slow moving. but gotta give them credit (porkys)! i never heard of anyone removing dogs teeth from a porky---

used to work with a guy that had a vendetta against porkys. it seems that his dog got tangled up with one real bad. from that day, he said he destroyed every one he could. even to the point of using his truck against them. yeah, you guessed it already...he took the ditch with the truck trying to get the porky and did quite a bit of damage to it (truck)

yooperdave said:
i think anyonw that has dogs in a rural setting and lets them run, has had the opportunity to see how good they are at removing quills from dogs mouth, tongue, throat. stupid dogs just can't stay away from something so slow moving. but gotta give them credit (porkys)! i never heard of anyone removing dogs teeth from a porky---

used to work with a guy that had a vendetta against porkys. it seems that his dog got tangled up with one real bad. from that day, he said he destroyed every one he could. even to the point of using his truck against them. yeah, you guessed it already...he took the ditch with the truck trying to get the porky and did quite a bit of damage to it (truck)

Reminds me of the old saying:
"Have a dog that get into a porky once, help the dog, shoot the porky. Have a dog that gets into a porky twice, shoot both. Get a new dog"

I'm with the let it be , Its nature some live some die , If it dies its food for someting else.

I think I have decided and convinced my better half that we will let it be and let nature take its course.
Seems to be eating ok, and although he/she moves a little slow its not loosing weight as far as I can tell...I'll just keep tabs on my buddy every wekeend or so on my hikes, and hopefully I will see him in the future.

keep us in the loop

estang said:
I'm with the let it be , Its nature some live some die , If it dies its food for someting else.

wrong-we all die. haven't saved anything yet...whales, dolphins, sea turtles, endangered species. all the billions of dollars and not a single one has been saved. maybe just a little more life breathed into them, thats all! life is not short...it's the longest thing we know!

Sorry, but don't try to catch a porcupine. Just shoot the thing. Got one running around here that our dogs have found twice. He'll be dead as soon as I find him.

Well, finally am getting over this Bronchitis thing after being on Antibiotics, and decided to make a trip out to the woods.
Found the little fella near his house....must have succumbed to sickness, as he was out of his house and half buried in the snow.
Judging by the tracks in the snow, looks like some moose got near him, so not sure if he just tied to hide and then couldn't get out of the snow pack....the darwin in me says that we did the right thing, but I will miss seeing him on my ventures out in the woods.
On another note, found a clearing where at least 5-6 moose must have beeded down for the night....anyone have any ideas on what to do if you run into a moose out in the woods? (Judging by the tracks and oval patterns, must have been about 5 or 6 of them)

Sorry you lost your buddy.

daveswoodhauler said:
Well, finally am getting over this Bronchitis thing after being on Antibiotics, and decided to make a trip out to the woods.
Found the little fella near his house....must have succumbed to sickness, as he was out of his house and half buried in the snow.
Judging by the tracks in the snow, looks like some moose got near him, so not sure if he just tied to hide and then couldn't get out of the snow pack....the darwin in me says that we did the right thing, but I will miss seeing him on my ventures out in the woods.
On another note, found a clearing where at least 5-6 moose must have beeded down for the night....anyone have any ideas on what to do if you run into a moose out in the woods? (Judging by the tracks and oval patterns, must have been about 5 or 6 of them)

Well what I would do is quickly look around to see if Rocket "Rocky" J. Squirrel is around since you know he could get you out of any scrap . . . and start looking behind the bushes and trees to see if Boris or Natasha are hiding behind them. ;) :)

If you have as much snow as us, stay away from a moose in the woods. They are having a hard time getting around this time of yeaar and will not want to give up a packed trail. Good change they will hold ground and maybe even charge at you. Winters of heavy snow re rough on large animals like moose.

When claiming "nature's course", you have to remember that a good number of animal injuries that you see are auto, trap, gun induced. A fair number of critters suffer because WE screw up and leave them injured- aside from the tough life they already have.

roads, bridges, dams- all create potential hazards.

I'm not saying they don't get injured naturally too, but there's a lot of broken legs from cars and traps.

SKIN052 said:
If you have as much snow as us, stay away from a moose in the woods. They are having a hard time getting around this time of yeaar and will not want to give up a packed trail. Good change they will hold ground and maybe even charge at you. Winters of heavy snow re rough on large animals like moose.

Seen a few while out riding on the sled . . . always give them a wide berth when they're using the groomed snowmobile trail . . . eventually they will go off trail and let me continue on my merry way . . .

daveswoodhauler said:

Move slowly and keep a good sized tree between you and him till he leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.