So, who has caught a Porcupine before? (Poor little fella didn't make it)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when I was a kid there was a $0.50 bounty on 'em, brother and I caught a lot of 'em. Destructive vermin.

hossthehermit said:
I remember when I was a kid there was a $0.50 bounty on 'em, brother and I caught a lot of 'em. Destructive vermin.

Miss your avatar hoss

daveswoodhauler said:
hossthehermit said:

Miss your avatar hoss

Huh, somebody musta stoled it.

Fable Of The Porcupine

It was the coldest winter ever. Many animals died because of the cold.

The porcupines, realizing the situation, decided to group together.

They were covered and protected, but the quills of each wounded the closest companion. After
a while, they decided to distance themselves, and they began
to die, alone and frozen. So they had to make a choice: either accept the quills of their
companions or disappear from the Earth.

Wisely, they decided to go back to being together. They learned to live with the little wounds that were caused
by their close relationships because the most important part was the heat
that came from the others. They were able to survive.

The best relationship is not the one that brings together perfect people,
but the one that forms when individuals learn to live with the imperfections,
and admire the good qualities of others.

The Moral Of The Story:
LEARN TO LOVE THE PRICKS IN YOUR LIFE.

firefighterjake said:
SKIN052 said:
If you have as much snow as us, stay away from a moose in the woods. They are having a hard time getting around this time of yeaar and will not want to give up a packed trail. Good change they will hold ground and maybe even charge at you. Winters of heavy snow re rough on large animals like moose.

Seen a few while out riding on the sled . . . always give them a wide berth when they're using the groomed snowmobile trail . . . eventually they will go off trail and let me continue on my merry way . . .

:cheese: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PJYene5EDQ

loon

"Tater", my former scoutmaster, called them "woodman's friends" - the only animal that you could catch and kill without a weapon. He never told us how to clean and cook one without a knife though!

loon said:
firefighterjake said:
SKIN052 said:
If you have as much snow as us, stay away from a moose in the woods. They are having a hard time getting around this time of yeaar and will not want to give up a packed trail. Good change they will hold ground and maybe even charge at you. Winters of heavy snow re rough on large animals like moose.

Seen a few while out riding on the sled . . . always give them a wide berth when they're using the groomed snowmobile trail . . . eventually they will go off trail and let me continue on my merry way . . .

:cheese: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PJYene5EDQ

loon

Funny that you post this . . . went riding yesterday and we had a moose that would not get off the trail despite us waiting and even riding a bit with her running (well loping) in front of us . . . did not want to go off trail . . . finally we had to take advantage of a wide spot on the trail and go by . . . had her turn towards me when I made my first run . . . backed off . . . and then was able to scoot around her.

Status
Not open for further replies.