So you want to use that old zero clearance fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwill

Oct 13, 2010
W. MI
Started to remove my 1976 Preway Z/C fireplace the other day in prep for my alcove stove install. Had to share what I found when I opened up the wall.

there was a metal firestop for the furnace vent, left air intake tube, and chimney. however the intake tube for the right did not have a metal surround, it was wide open!!! Not only was it open but it appears that the right tube was venting smoke into the attic. that is soot on the underside of my roof! Also the left tube was not attached to the fireplace and was simply dumping cold attic air into the space. To add to all of this, that's about 10" of blown insulation sitting on top of the fireplace, there was more on the right side as well. No wonder this thing was so cold all winter. I consider my self lucky that there was not a fire and have to admit that yes I unknowingly used the fireplace like this.

Attachments

• img78.jpg
    img78.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 280
  • img77.jpg
    img77.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 284
  • img76.jpg
    img76.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 331
  • img80.jpg
    img80.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 262
wow... that could have been bad in so many ways....

Your fairy godmother was working overtime!

Great that you now know that it needs fixing. Many times one is amazed when they start looking inside the walls and ceilings of older houses.

Status
Not open for further replies.