Soap stone cleaner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

racerx

Dec 21, 2008
Maple Park,IL
I have a soap stone burner,what is the best cleaning agent to apply on the tiles,it is getting that whiteish kinda color, around the outside of the front door...I am a bodyman by trade,and was wondering if a mild buffing compound would work,if so i will take it bto the cabin for christmas.Thanks guys

My stove manual says to remove stains with fine steel wool.

I don't know about stoves but I lightly sand and use mineral oil on my sink. The mineral oil will turn the soapstone dark and bring out the grains in the stone. If you don't like that look just wait a while and the stone will fade back to its original color

Hold on. What brand of stove? A woodstock has a rough finish and you can grind it with steel wool. A hearthstone, many many times more common, has a polished finish that will be ruined by steel wool. Could you woodstock guys please make that clear so that we don't ruin these stoves?

What is this white stuff you are getting on your stove? If a wet paper towel won't get it off then I have to wonder what it is. I have had stove cement from the stove's original construction become more apparent over the years of burning but it can be cleaned off with water (soaked with a wet rag to loosen) and a paper towel.

here is the hearthstone tech bulletin for this, if its a HS...

Beauty, consistent heat and uniqueness are some of the characteristics that make HearthStone
soapstone stoves so special. The proper care of your soapstone will keep these features for a
lifetime. The most crucial step is your very first fire. Your owner’s manual goes through the break
in procedure step by step. Please follow those instructions carefully. Also, if your stove has not
been used for a long period of time, such as the first fire after the summer, follow the break-in
procedure at least once to minimize the stress of a hot fire on a cold stove.
If using a steamer or other cooking utensils on your stove, please be careful to lift it up rather than
sliding it around the top. Soapstone is relatively soft and can scratch. If you spill something or
touch the stove with a piece of plastic while it is hot, a stain may appear. Normally it will burn out
naturally with time. Sometimes the more you fuss with it, the worse it gets. Leave it alone and the
heating of the stone will take care of it. Do not use chemical agents to wash the stone. Also, do not
use waxes or any polishing agent on the stone. Clean the stone with water, any non-abrasive
cleaner and a soft cloth. Only clean the stone when the stove is cold.
If you have a scratch in the stone, do not attempt to polish or rub it out. The best approach is to
conceal the scratch so it is not a noticeable. Common remedies include:
Ashes: Rub ashes into the scratch.
Lead Pencil: Use a pencil to fill in and hide the scratch.
High temperature stove paint: Usually a grey or charcoal colored
paint works best. Spray a little on a piece of cardboard and then use a model airplane brush to touch
up the scratch. Lightly polish the stone with 000 or 0000 steel wool.
Occasionally a hairline fracture appears in a stone. These occur naturally and may extend for an
inch or two. Check to be sure the fracture does not go all the way thru the stone. Do this by
shinning a flashlight on one side of the stone and see if the light is visible from the other. If the
light is not visible, the fracture is merely cosmetic in nature and no further action is necessary. If
the light is visible, contact your HearthStone dealer.
Replacement stones are available but please keep in mind it may not match the color of the existing
stone. As soapstone is quarried it actually shifts in color and over time a new piece of stone will not
look the same as one that has been used.

Reactions: abcarpenter
Wood Heat Stoves said:
here is the hearthstone tech bulletin for this, if its a HS...

Beauty, consistent heat and uniqueness are some of the characteristics that make HearthStone
soapstone stoves so special. The proper care of your soapstone will keep these features for a
lifetime. The most crucial step is your very first fire. Your owner’s manual goes through the break
in procedure step by step. Please follow those instructions carefully. Also, if your stove has not
been used for a long period of time, such as the first fire after the summer, follow the break-in
procedure at least once to minimize the stress of a hot fire on a cold stove.
If using a steamer or other cooking utensils on your stove, please be careful to lift it up rather than
sliding it around the top. Soapstone is relatively soft and can scratch. If you spill something or
touch the stove with a piece of plastic while it is hot, a stain may appear. Normally it will burn out
naturally with time. Sometimes the more you fuss with it, the worse it gets. Leave it alone and the
heating of the stone will take care of it. Do not use chemical agents to wash the stone. Also, do not
use waxes or any polishing agent on the stone. Clean the stone with water, any non-abrasive
cleaner and a soft cloth. Only clean the stone when the stove is cold.
If you have a scratch in the stone, do not attempt to polish or rub it out. The best approach is to
conceal the scratch so it is not a noticeable. Common remedies include:
Ashes: Rub ashes into the scratch.
Lead Pencil: Use a pencil to fill in and hide the scratch.
High temperature stove paint: Usually a grey or charcoal colored
paint works best. Spray a little on a piece of cardboard and then use a model airplane brush to touch
up the scratch. Lightly polish the stone with 000 or 0000 steel wool.
Occasionally a hairline fracture appears in a stone. These occur naturally and may extend for an
inch or two. Check to be sure the fracture does not go all the way thru the stone. Do this by
shinning a flashlight on one side of the stone and see if the light is visible from the other. If the
light is not visible, the fracture is merely cosmetic in nature and no further action is necessary. If
the light is visible, contact your HearthStone dealer.
Replacement stones are available but please keep in mind it may not match the color of the existing
stone. As soapstone is quarried it actually shifts in color and over time a new piece of stone will not
look the same as one that has been used.

Sounds like it would be a stupid idea to cook on one.

Status
Not open for further replies.