Soapstone and Firestarters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

citizanken

Oct 19, 2006
Smithsburg, Maryland
I remember reading somewhere that you should avoid the wax and sawdust fire-starters because they can discolor the soapstone lined firebox on a Hearthstone . I believe it also mentioned that it will add to creosote buildup in the liner. Is this true? are some starters "ok" and others to be avoided? I really like the convenience of a starter but don't want to damage the stove or chimney.

Ok, I have since done some checking, and I think I can conclude that supercedars firestarters should not discolor a soapstone lined firebox. I just have 2 questions.

1) Are Supercedar Firestarters really the best? or is the adulation everyone on the boards seem to give to them tong in cheek and I am missing it?

2) I notice there are 2 different sites to purchase them from. Supercedar.com and north line express, and maybe a couple others. Which site would you all recommend. Is one better than the other?

The inside of our soapstone firebox looks the same.. don't notice any discoloration...From time to time will use the rutland firestarter and have two of the super cedars but have not tried them yet..

Ken:

Worry about firestarters is worry misplaced. In my book, there is no "best" firestarter. Here's why.

The firebox is coldest at startup. As long as the fire starts (with paper, fatwood, shavings, twigs, wax/cardboard, wax/shavings, wax/paper, blow torch, commercial firestarters, yada, yada, yada), there is adequate air and draft, the wood is dry and the fire continues to burn and is a "good" hot fire, the firebox heats up and will burn off all residuals used to start the fire. NB: smoldering fires are not "good" fires.

Aye,
Marty

I think most are thinking you have a soapstone stove and referring to stains working it's way to affect the polished exterior of the soapstone. The soapstone inside will discolor on your insert no matter what you do. The inside of my Clydesdale the soapstone is covered in black, that doesn't affect how it functions and when I periodically overfire it, some of it will burn off but there's not much you can do about keeping the inside of your insert's firebox looking new.

My firebox bricks end up nearly 100% clean after every fire. I can't believe it! Is this normal?

Attachments

• 100_0190.JPG
    100_0190.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 458
Possibly, soapstone is very different than firebrick. Firebrick tends to reflect heat, soapstone absorbs it. Hopefully others chime in, I'm curious as well. The soapstone inside my insert is pretty much black at this point.

CountryGal said:
My firebox bricks end up nearly 100% clean after every fire. I can't believe it! Is this normal?

Just wait , that will change.

As for the way soapstone works ....... I would keep off junk and flaky stuff off the stone.

Roospike said:
Here is the inside of my stove after a year of 24/7 use.

How many cords of candles do you go through in a year?

BrotherBart said:
Roospike said:
Here is the inside of my stove after a year of 24/7 use.

How many cords of candles do you go through in a year?
one 4 wicker candle a year. :cheese:

Another question , why not use soapstone in a steel or cast stove instead of firebrick ? I think that question has come up before last year but cant seem to find it.

Roo:

In my humble opinion, firebrick (better insulator) is better than soapstone ($$$) (better conductor) in a metal stove firebox because the insulator helps keep heat in the firebox (for burn 'efficiency'; remember, a hot fire is a good fire) rather than conduct the heat out of the firebox to the stove walls to heat the area. There's plenty of metal around the firebox to heat the room.

Aye,
Marty

Switching firebrick for soapstone, you'd be using an absorbing material in a unit designed to work with an insulating. Switching from Soapstone to Firebrick, you're now using an insulating material in a stove designed to use an absorbing. I don't think in either case, the new configuration will function like it was meant to or as well, with a remote chance of damage.

The Clydesdale is a soapstone lined unit. Behind your firebrick is just flat wall? Behind the soapstone in my unit on all the sides and bottom, are elaborate channels, pockets, and grid patterns to make sure there's air pockets or air flow. I can't figure out why they'd be there unless to compensate for something to do with the properties of soapstone. There was a suggestion it's to reduce clearances, it being an insert I'm not certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.