Soapstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishinbuddy782000

Apr 18, 2006
North Country New York
Ok maybe I was a little far fetched about the soapstone firebrick replacement thing, but it sounds like it would work. I didn't think about the heat going out of the flue though. My old stove Federal Airtight had a damper I could close but it was a catalyst too. I'm just trying to get the most out of my stove. Here's another question. Could I put a slab of soapstone in the shape of the top of my wood stove over the flue exit of course and then reap the benefits of some extended heat release. I was gonna get a Woodstock Stove I just didn't have the money at the time. Plus it might add a little style to my Avalon Rainier's black box stove look. Don't get my wrong it's nice lookin stove just lookin for some input. Any input is greatly appreciated. Take care I'm sure ya'll hear from me again soon.

Shure! a lot of eruo stoves do this. Steel box with a soapstone top will buffer some of the harshnes of the steel heat, and store/radiate softer heat thats more even. My only concern would be that it would act as a insulator to a point and bring the internal combustion temps up to possibly a untested, unsafe running temp, which could shorten the life of some of the parts of the stove. Thats why i would call avalon on any changes you want to make to the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.