Sockets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenskip1

Sep 17, 2006
Waynesville Missouri
I have a question about Harbor Freight sockets.I am in need of a set of 1/2 drive impact sockets. My local harbor freight has these at a reasonable price. The question is are they worth what they want? I am not a fan of this company but the warranty is good.These are the thick deep well sockets in the dull black finish.I will be using them on mostly tire removal and some front end repair.. Thanks, Ken

For as much wrenching as I do I can't justify top shelf tools, but even so I own exactly two Snap-On tools: a 17 mm and a 19 mm (0.75 inch) Flank Drive deep impact sockets for lug nut/bolt removal, and they make a huge difference, especially for tire and front end work, although folks in Texas can scarcely imagine the crap we have to deal with due to road salt.

The patent has expired and Flank Drive, so now there's Craftsman HeadLock and others. If you're doing any amount of work where it's important that the tool works well you'd probably be better off to go ahead and get the best quality you can afford and save yourself the trip of returning junk to Harbor Freight (although there are certainly some treasures to be found there).

Another problem with the cheaper sockets is the thick sidewalls. The tend to not fit into a lot of spots where a better quality socket will. Understand, that I use my tool all day long to make my living, so I'm a fan of the best I can buy. For your application those sockets might be just fine. A C

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Check out the Husky tools at Home Depot, not expensive and from the sets I have they are better than equivalent Craftsman tools. Can't comment on the HF tools as I don't have any.

folks in Texas, Ewdudley, I think that it is just fair to let you know that I lived in Oneida county in NY for over 20 years.I have pictures of over 320 inches of snow.I am most familiar with the road salt and what it does to automobiles.I was located in the hamlet of West Branch off state highway 26.I still miss my friends and the surrounding areas, Ken

Check out the Husky tools at Home Depot, not expensive and from the sets I have they are better than equivalent Craftsman tools. Can't comment on the HF tools as I don't have any.

Lowes also has their own label now - Kobalt. I am impressed with the six point socket set I bought, and likewise not expensive.

Oh ya, West branch gets it's fair share of snow.
Do yourself a favor and stay away from HF, there is something lost in the translation of sizes from China. Every wrench I have gotten there just plain fits sloppy and you end up rounding any fastener that is at all tight. Stick with Sears,Lowes or the Depot. Check Craig's list for top shelf tools.

Not sure if HF existed back when I turned wrenches, so I can't comment on them. As others have said, often a problem with 'cheap' sockets is the wall thickness.

I have always been a fan of SK for sockets. Not cheap, but they hold up well. If yer gonna do a lot of tires/front end work, go 3/4" drive.

**EDIT** I just come here for the sexy avitars, so don't put too much stock in any free advice I hand out.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I can't tell you how many times in my 63 years I've bought a "bargain" tool, had it fail, and gone back and bought a good tool. If this was something you needed to use only occasionally, then I'd say go ahead and give the stuff from HF a try and see if does the job. If this is a tool that you intend to use regularly, then spend the money to buy a high quality tool. Impact sockets really take a beating, and if they're not well made they either break or they ruin whatever it is you're using them on. That's my 4 1/2 cents worth. Rick

(ETA: DeadBTUs, sorry my avatar isn't sexy. :()

DeadBTU is right (and my avatar is damn sexy!), SK tools are highly underrated and if someone pointed a gun at me and told me to trade in my Snap-On tools (not everything I own is Snap-on) SK would be my pick.

Most of the tools I've bought from Sears, especially in the last 10 years, have been disappointing. :(

I'm delighted if anything I bought at HF makes it through the first day. :rolleyes: It's all about expectations!

I bought a set of 3/4" drive metric impact sockets at HF recently. They are fine for as much as I use them, but I have a breaker bar and ratchet, but no impact. Impact sockets for regular use? I'd look elsewhere.

+1 with fossil : " I've bought a "bargain" tool, had it fail, and gone back and bought a good tool."

Had some cheap stuff but allot of it broke or tolerances weren't close enough.
You get what you pay for.

"It only breaks when you need it" : Then;
Gas money & time to go get the tool you need usually pays for the difference in price ;)

Well, not sure what is says about me, but Fossil and Master Mech, I find both of your avatars sexy as hell.

And a plus whatever on cheap impacts. Sloppy, junky, prone to breakage. S and K, Old school craftsman (actually, old school anything), snap-on and some of the box store stuff will treat you much better.

Reactions: MasterMech
I can't really brag on the three sets of HF deep impact sockets that I have but I can't cuss at them either as they haven't failed yet and I feel that I have probably already gotten my money out of them. They are probably around 10 years old and only the 21mm seems to get much use.

SK tools ARE good quality, but they have changed their warranty policy, Tools now have to be shipped back to the factory instead of dealer replacement.

folks in Texas, Ewdudley, I think that it is just fair to let you know that I lived in Oneida county in NY for over 20 years.I have pictures of over 320 inches of snow.I am most familiar with the road salt and what it does to automobiles.I was located in the hamlet of West Branch off state highway 26.I still miss my friends and the surrounding areas, Ken
Sorry, cant offer advice on any tools but would love to see what 320 inches of snow looks like, do you have pics on your computer?

I want to thank all those that have replied to my query.As to pictures of the 320 inches of snow forget it. I was sick and tired of snow shoveling it plowing it driving wife to work. Snow is a 4 letter word in my vocabulary.From the replies I will steer clear from HF. As to the snow total it was in 1997-98 I believe. Got to WIXT news channel 9 in Syracuse NY. They will be happy to assist you, Thanks, Ken

I'm not fussy with brands, some of my go to tools are just some dollar bin cheapos, but somehow do the job the best. Just cause you paid $500 for a tool that another brand sells for $100, doesn't mean it's 5x better. ;)

As far as "well I make a living with my tools so I have to buy the expensive stuff"... I call bolonie on that. Some of the better mechanics I know have almost no tool truck tools.... and I've also met plenty of "mechanics" with 100k in tool truck tools and I'm not sure could change oil in a lawnmower.

Sorry, cant offer advice on any tools but would love to see what 320 inches of snow looks like, do you have pics on your computer?

Book a weekend stay in the Syracuse/Watertown area in say... February. They get buried reliably most years.

I'm not fussy with brands, some of my go to tools are just some dollar bin cheapos, but somehow do the job the best. Just cause you paid $500 for a tool that another brand sells for $100, doesn't mean it's 5x better. ;)

As far as "well I make a living with my tools so I have to buy the expensive stuff"... I call bolonie on that. Some of the better mechanics I know have almost no tool truck tools.... and I've also met plenty of "mechanics" with 100k in tool truck tools and I'm not sure could change oil in a lawnmower.

I've learned to look closely at a tool before buying (big purchases that is) since many times you can find the same or similar for a lot less money. Most mechanics that I know, that also earn a decent living turning wrenches, would agree that the hand tools are worth the extra $$ coming off a tool truck vs a box store or HF. I always try to find out who makes the "gadget" type tools and where else they get sold before I give the nod to the guy driving the truck. Cash usually sits well with the tool truck guys too. ;)

Have a couple sets of the hf deep impact sockets, overall they have been fine, ya there are better quality ones out there and then there are a lot that are that are not just have a fancy name or chrome plating on the same stuff. On sizes, yep Chinkmetric, chinksae, but I have found that with the big names also. Or maybe the nut and bolt mfg are practicing the the latest consumer rip/off practice of shrinking product,t not the price.

I have IR impact sockets and the HF pittsburgh impacts. Both are fine never had a problem with either. The HF sockets will be fine for your needs. save your receipt if you get them, i believe you need the receipt for the lifetime warrenty, but the impact sockets are pretty durable so you most likely won't have any issues.

Of all the items at HF the deep well, 6 point, impact sockets are one of the best. I own a set of 1/2" and would not hesitate to use them for anything. They have been excellent over the years and I have beat on them with impact guns, torque wrenches, and breaker bars. Now breaker bars, that's where I buy craftsman since I've sheared the square drive off of more than one non-craftsman 1/2" drive.

I say buy HF on the sockets. Nobody here has had a single bad experience with them, just old men bashing china products.

Nobody here has had a single bad experience with them, just old men bashing china products.

Not true. I PERSONALLY have cracked a 1/2" drive 3/4" impact socket. And I am not all that old.:mad:

Edit: And it was done with nothing more then me on the end of a standard breaker bar. Albeit - I am not a little guy.

Okay Jags, that's good stuff. Real experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.