softwood for shoulder season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyAndy

Feb 29, 2008
Chateaugay, NY
Do you go out of your way to cut softer woods for shoulder season? I have access to a pretty big downed pine (24"), also there is alot of boxelder where we cut. I am just wondering if I should go after it intentionally for shoulder season.

BTW, what is "shoulder season"? Well, actually I know what it IS (fall, spring, light duty short fires), but where did the name come from?

EDIT: Another question. If I cut the pine and boxelder in early spring, will it be ready to use by october? It will be stacked where it gets 5-6 hours of sun everyday and is right in the wind.

Shoulder season= spring/fall when you have those cold mornings and warm afternoons and you don't want a lot of hot coals over warming your house. Sure Andy I've burnt box elder, poplar and willow in shoulder season. They burn hot and leave very little if any coals...also a good time to burn dry punky wood too.

savageactor7 said:
Shoulder season= spring/fall when you have those cold mornings and warm afternoons and you don't want a lot of hot coals over warming your house. Sure Andy I've burnt box elder, poplar and willow in shoulder season. They burn hot and leave very little if any coals...also a good time to burn dry punky wood too.

But why do they call it "Shoulder" season?

I've been burning since '77 and only when I signed up here did I hear it called shoulder season.

When we fist started burning the old timers that schooled me said it a good ideal to burn the softer seasoned junk wood in the earlier and later season and told me why. They didn't have a name for that silly season but I suppose everything needs a name.

There is a chart formation in Technical Analysis called a head and shoulders chart. It looks like it sounds. Small rise (shoulder) then decline, followed by a big rise (head) and decline, then small rise (shoulder). If it is right side up it then declines. Thus it is a bearish signal. If you see it in reverse it is a bullish signal. So temp wise maybe the head is the coldest part of the year (upside down temp).
Hey, I am grabbing at straws here.
Popular term in the travel industry.

I think dnf's on track. It's been discussed here a few times, I think. I suspect it's a description of the sloping sides of a graph of heating season btu need.

CowboyAndy said:
Do you go out of your way to cut softer woods for shoulder season? I have access to a pretty big downed pine (24"), also there is alot of boxelder where we cut. I am just wondering if I should go after it intentionally for shoulder season.

BTW, what is "shoulder season"? Well, actually I know what it IS (fall, spring, light duty short fires), but where did the name come from?

EDIT: Another question. If I cut the pine and boxelder in early spring, will it be ready to use by october? It will be stacked where it gets 5-6 hours of sun everyday and is right in the wind.

No. I put my greenest wood at the back of the shed, most seasoned at the front, and this is enough of a PITA without having to consider the BTU value of the various species of my wood pile.

savageactor7 said:
I've been burning since '77 and only when I signed up here did I hear it called shoulder season.

When we fist started burning the old timers that schooled me said it a good ideal to burn the softer seasoned junk wood in the earlier and later season and told me why. They didn't have a name for that silly season but I suppose everything needs a name.

2x

I've also never heard of moisture meters or "temperatures"

Status
Not open for further replies.