Softwood Pellets. Burn HOT!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cogger

Oct 10, 2006
www.facebook.com
I tried some softwood pellets and will say I am impressed. They burn HOT so adjust your feed rate accordingly to blower settings. I picked some up at a local Agway that where produced in Lac-Ste Jean QB in the Taiga.

Now I see also Agay has private label hardwood pellets and I am very impressed of the low ash and heat from them, best thing next to Energex I have tried. I will note this on my WoodPelletFuel.org site.

I know your post is almost a year old , but are you still burning energex? I have an enviro empress and have tried several different kinds of pellets, all hardwood. Thinking of going to the softwood but looking for some input.

what does adjust your feed rate according to your blower setting mean?

sculptor,

It means you can drop the heat setting on the stove, Good softwood pellets burn hotter than the average hardwood pellet.

But I think you have the Rocky Mountains. So you might need to turn your stove hotter if you grab some lesser grade pellets.

There are a few brands of hardwoods that are not like the average hardwoods. This rule is not for the better hardwoods brands. They burn very close to the softwoods. It's all trial and error in pellet shopping. But the best hardwoods are easily found by there Very High Price range.

jay

Here a little something I found in my pellet browsing.

SOFTWOOD: THE MISUNDERSTOOD PELLET
Softwood pellets have been getting a bad rap because of incorrect information given to the customers. Many people think because it is a softwood that it will burn faster. This is not true. It does burn hotter so you would need to regulate your settings and then sit back and enjoy the warmth the pellets put out. . Wood pellets, whether hard or soft have almost the same density therefore will have similar burn times and will produce a much lighter and fluffier ash. Softwood pellets also have the added benefit of clean burning resins that ignite for the higher BTU value

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.