Softwood Pellets in Maryland?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyranid

Nov 9, 2010
Annapolis, MD
I just got my pellet stove last weekend. I've been going around to local sellers, buying a few bags to try out the different types of pellets.

I've seen on here discussions about softwood pellets burning hotter. I'd like to try some to see what the difference is, but I can't find anyone local to buy from.

Anyone know where I can get some to try thats within a reasonable distance from Annapolis, MD?

Duh... The Potomacs I have are made from pine.... :)

Okay, besides Potomacs, are there any other softwood pellets in the area?

IMO, don't get all hung up on finding another softwood just because of a difference in heat output....the difference is probably small. There are some good hardwoods that produce great heat, and may be easier to find. Cubex, Hamer's, Barefoot to name a few.

The biggest difference I found with the softwoods is not so much the heat factor. But how clean they burn. The produce much less ash then the average hardwood pellet. But the top tier hardwoods can be just as good or darned close. So close most wouldn't notice the difference. What you really should be looking for is a quality made pellet. One that will give you both good heat and burn nice and clean. There are several good brands of both hardwood and softwood available you will just need to find them. imacman mentioned some good brands so you could start with those. Barefoots and Hamers should be readily found, Cubex not so much in your area. Turmans should also be available in your area.

If you name off some of the available brands, Some of the members can offer comments on them. We love chatting about pellets here, So you should get lots of info. I have tested many many brands, If you need links to them let me know. They might give you some rough ideas on whats out there. Have fun pellet hunting!

I appreciate the advice.

I've been doing quite a bit of reading on here and I appreciate the large amount of info on a variety of pellets.

Right now, I'm buying about 5 bags each of just about anything I can find, just so I can get a feel for differences between pellets.

Right now I have Greenway, Penningtons, Lignetics, Potomacs, and I managed to find some Hamers as well.

I've been buring Greenways for the past week. I just threw a bag of Lignetics in last night and I did see a difference (more ash, for example).

My desire for a softwood pellet is merely curiousity. I'd apprecitate the comments here, but sometimes you just have to see for yourself. I'm just as interested in seeing how a 'bad' pellet performs as much as I am in seeing a quality pellet.

Other brands I've seen, but not purchased (yet) are - OMalley's, American Wood Fibers, and Country Boys (which were only available by the Ton and were over $300 a ton at that!). I will probably pick up the first two eventually.

Your help and enthusiasum are both very much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.