Softwood pellets in N. MD or South PA?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noremorse63

Feb 2, 2012
Maryland
Hi, I posted this last year without any luck. I am looking for dealer that sells softwood pellets in Northern Maryland or even Southern PA. The only place that has them in Courtland's Hardware and they raised the price to 310 a ton this year. At this point I am will to drive to Lancaster or York, but I just can't find any store that sells them this far south--all Hardwood is all I can find.

Also, has anyone heard of Iron stone pellets? There is a store in PA that sells them, but I can't find any reviews. Thanks in advance for any help or places to call.

Hi noremorse, I took the plunge on the softies at Courtland's, burned them last year, and really liked them low ash and very hot(compared to the premium golden hardwood that they carry)
6 tons in the Garage<>, from reading here looks like thats its not too crazy a price for soffties

FWIW I only have 3/4 of a burning season under my belt , but in my opinion the softies burned very much hotter than other pellets i have tried, I noticed that the air from the dist blower was so hot , i couldnt keep my hand near it, and my stove was in idle much more of the time. - so i believe i burned less pellets to justify additional cost. , also noticed that the ash pan took about 2-3x longer to fill up which is important to me since on my accentra inset i do not have the luxury of a large pan- cleanups and maintenance were much easier as well

ultra-premium-white-pine-softwood.jpg

I have been using the Ultras from Courtland and you are right, they are awesome, cleaner and hotter. I was just hoping to find another softwood brand or dealer to try since it feels like Courtland has a monopoly around here on softwoods--even name brand pellets for that matter. I have the Mt Vernon AE and love it. Since I am just a few miles from PA I was hoping to find a dealer there, but no luck so far.

Reactions: PELLETCONVERT
I have been using the Ultras from Courtland and you are right, they are awesome, cleaner and hotter. I was just hoping to find another softwood brand or dealer to try since it feels like Courtland has a monopoly around here on softwoods--even name brand pellets for that matter. I have the Mt Vernon AE and love it. Since I am just a few miles from PA I was hoping to find a dealer there, but no luck so far.
Understood, i wish you luck in your search - would love to try some of the softies they have up north!! looks like some are paying upwards of $345 a ton though

let me know if you find anything please, have a great day ,and be warm this winter!

I did find one guy on the PA/MD border--forgot the store--started witha "B" I think. He said they try to get some from Vermont every year, but didn't have any in yet. And they were 345 a ton, however, he said they burned hotter than the Ultras so I would pay for that.

I did find one guy on the PA/MD border--forgot the store--started witha "B" I think. He said they try to get some from Vermont every year, but didn't have any in yet. And they were 345 a ton, however, he said they burned hotter than the Ultras so I would pay for that.
WOW! wonder if they were/are the Oakanagan douglas fir pellets, legendary from what ive learned

Ok, I found the name of that place, it is Bull's Supply Company. The guy on the phone was not only very nice but also very knowledgeable about the pellets--what he had, price, and performance. I will probably head up there 1 day since it is only about 20 min from me--same as Courtland. Oh, don't let the website fool you, I called and they had 3 or 4 kinds in stock--maybe 5 not sure. But no softwoods yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.