Softwood pellets in PA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gscreely

I am in central PA and I have been wanting to try some soft wood pellets. Does any one know of any in PA? We have over a dozen mills in the State but all seem to be hardwood.

Hi,

I've tried some "Stove Chow" brand, not sure if its soft wood but on the bag it says made from "White" wood if thats the same. Right now they are on sale at our local HD for $199.00 ton.

From the 4 bags that I tried they seemed to burn about 10-20* cooler on low setting, ash and clinkers wasn't bad though. when compared to the hard wood brands I tried.

I don't have an answer to your question, but I have burned what I believe to be pine pellets (a light yellow color) called PJ's brand by Carolina Shavings and am very dissapointed with them. When compared to Somerset pellets which are oak pellets, they do not put out nearly as much heat, have more fines and are dustier.

Status
Not open for further replies.