Softwood VS Hardwood Debate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
offingmoot said:
well i just got my 146 bags today i was just justifying my reason for this thread and also point out to help others understand
i may be good as of today but others arnt so lucky

any feedback on the pfi info on the bags being the same? is it always the same since that is their requirements?
also never found the list of comparing companies on the pfi site
PFI info is the "minimum standard" for grading. All Premium pellets have to meet the same standard for <1% ash, etc. Some pellets are even better than that based on their source material. Sometimes that changes lot to lot so you generally won't see a lot of other numbers bandied about. You can check each manufacturer's website to see if they make any additional claims of their own. The Barefoot ones I have in the garage say they "exceed standards" but not specifically how much. The same is true of the Michigan Wood Pellets I've got - again they say they're better but the specs they list on their website are the standards although they do claim to pre-sift the pellets before bagging to reduce the dust. Both of them are hardwood but that's because that's what the dealers here sell. I'd be just as happy with softwood (maybe happier) as there's slightly more BTUs in a pound of softwood pellets than a pound of hardwood pellets and since I've got a thermostatically controlled stove, the more rapid burning of the softwood ones wouldn't bother me. Personally, I would be interested in industrial (standard grade) pellets if I could get them and the price was right - my stove can burn them so if they were cheaper enough, they'd be worth using. Just can't find them locally.

now thats some good info there thank you for sharing your experience with me it means a lot
so i have heard that softwood will burn hotter but havent heard too much faster as well

Have frost warnings in the U.P. of michigan tonight!! and so the season starts again. Guess they can try out their brands of pellets for the next few nights.

here in south jersey its been a a mild few weeks only put the ac on a few times...it is chilly at night but still above 60
the few times i ran the stove for test runs for less than 10 minutes the stove room was blistering
i kind of envy bing able to burn some meaningful pellets......bring on winter!!!!

offingmoot said:
I only have 1 ton of energex hardwood in the basement and would like 2-3 more. Can’t get delivery to my zip code.
Pelletsales.com will deliver to my folks zip about 20 miles north of me, here is their quote for Greenway Premium 2 tons

Product: Wood Pellets (Premium)
Scheduled For: In Stock (Delivery in Aug-Sep)
Form: Tons, Bagged on Skid
Brand Information: Greenway Premium Wood Pellets
Quantity in Tons: 2 (2 skids)
Price Per Ton: $285.90
Total Product Price: $571.80
Delivery: $99.00 ($49.50 per ton)
Processing Fee: $18.45 (waived for payment by check)
Total Amount: $689.25

Becomes $344.625/ton delivered to my folks but I still have to get them home and I don’t own a truck

Or depot has softwood for $249/ton with $65 delivery
Becomes $281.5 delivered right to my house and potentially 1 ton in the shed still wrapped up if they will drop them there

Is it worth the extra $63/ton and extra work and gas driving back and forth for the hardwood?

I know some people say yes some say no and I read sof will have higher BTU but more ash……but I am feeling pressure and want to get this done and have zero experience burning pellets
my stove dealer and installer both say stay away from softwood

I purchased three tons of Greenway pellets last year and found that they have a lot of dust and fins. They also produced a lot of ash and I had trouble with them jamming in my Harman XXV and not feeding. They did seem to burn hot but I will not be buying again.

is greenway softwood? pine?
where they any cheaper than other hardwood brands?
why did you buy them?

offingmoot said:
is greenway softwood? pine?
The pellets I received were hardwood pellets

where they any cheaper than other hardwood brands?
Not really cheaper just had the stove install in Mid December and was not sure where to buy the pellets at the time.

why did you buy them?
see above

I still have just under a ton of them and I am going to mix with the Hardwood Heat I picked up from Tractor Supply, was told Hardwood Heat are made by Hamer and they seem to have very little fins and are around 1 inch and under in size. Picked up 4 tons @ $239.50 a ton; so I have a total of 5 tons and I'm set for the winter. :coolsmile:

offingmoot said:
.....i dont see the pdf on the PFI site that compares brands...any help??

I don't see it either....is it possible they removed it on purpose? Complaints from manufacturers whose pellets didn't measure up so well?

Hope someone can find the list and post the exact web address....thanks!

did a quick search on line and dont see anything

Hello,

My name is Shane Flury I was in the hearth industry for 8 years as an installer and fireplace store manager. I’m now just an average joe in a different industry but I still participate in the hearth.com forums. I’ve been sending people to your site to debunk myths like hardwood pellets are superior to softwood etc. I used to have a spec sheet that I downloaded off of your site that listed the pellet manufacturers and the specs that had the test results for their pellets listed (.25% ash content etc.) Do you still have such a sheet and if so where do I find it? If it isn’t publicly available, why not? I found it to be an invaluable resource in my fuel selection.

Thanks

Shane Flury

I sent the email above to the PFI. Hopefully they respond.

cool thanx shane
dont know why i didnt think of that....very smart

Go with softwood preferably fir pellets.... burn hotter,longer and more btu's

Status
Not open for further replies.