Softwood vs. Hardwood pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ffcmckinney

Oct 5, 2007
I'm new to the pellet world and have a few questions about pellets. I've asked questions of people I know that have one and get mixed results of burning hardwood or softwood. I've also heard that some people can't get the hardwood to stay lit. Looking to get some insite from a wider array of users. Thank you.

This is a perennial question. They both burn fine if they are a premium brand. Softwood pellets have a slight edge on BTU content and burn cleaner. But a premium hardwood pellet should work fine in any good stove. If they aren't staying lit, it's likely either poor pellets, an improperly set stove, or one that needs cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.