Softwood (White Spruce) carries the day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

breamer999

Dec 11, 2007
Brackley Beach PEI
Good evening all my fellow wood burners. We are now at -19c (-2.2f). I worked at home today, and right now it is a comfortable 25c (77F) in my 1050 sq foot Eastern White Cedar Log cabin. So nothing really to say here except I wanted to try a day of nothing but softwood. I live on four acres in Prince Edward Island Canada on the north shore (Brackley Beach for you google map types). I have 40' white spruce on my land and slowly but surely the they are being toppled over by winds and replaced by White birch and... ugh...pin cherry. But I wanted to know if there were any die hard spruce burners out there?. I love the stuff. Mine is bone dry and I've been burning it for fifteen years and only cleaned my flue three times, and about a cup of creosote each time. I save my hardwoods for overnight. I have the Regency F2400 stove. A lovely stove it is. It starts to have problems when the temps get to -30c, then I sleep on the couch

Reactions: ScotO
PEI, my favorite island.

Good evening all my fellow wood burners. We are now at -19c (-2.2f). I worked at home today, and right now it is a comfortable 25c (77F) in my 1050 sq foot Eastern White Cedar Log cabin. So nothing really to say here except I wanted to try a day of nothing but softwood. I live on four acres in Prince Edward Island Canada on the north shore (Brackley Beach for you google map types). I have 40' white spruce on my land and slowly but surely the they are being toppled over by winds and replaced by White birch and... ugh...pin cherry. But I wanted to know if there were any die hard spruce burners out there?. I love the stuff. Mine is bone dry and I've been burning it for fifteen years and only cleaned my flue three times, and about a cup of creosote each time. I save my hardwoods for overnight. I have the Regency F2400 stove. A lovely stove it is. It starts to have problems when the temps get to -30c, then I sleep on the couch

I used to burn lots of spruce. Most of it came from standing dead trees. It burned well but was so dry it burned a bit too quickly. I now burn only birch which lasts much longer. Whenever I'm on PEI, I stop and have a Cow's ice cream cone......absolutely the best ice cream and the waffle cones are to die for!

ChipTam

I had some spruce and fir that was part of a land reclamation / christmas tree project that were overtaken by indigenous white pine and it was not very good wood. The under story cherry that struggles and withers isn't very good either. I'm tempted to go in and grab the cherry before it starts to wither and rot just to have it.

Sounds like you did well, and you've added to the proof that spruce can get the job done, and do it cleanly at that! I'd love to visit that island someday, beautiful country up there!

Status
Not open for further replies.