Solar and wood boiler ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmfan36

Jun 4, 2008
north jersey
Is there a solar application that would just run the boiler and the pump? my electric bill gets high during the winter when i run my maxim.was wondering if any one would have a suggestion.thanks kevin

mmfan36 said:
Is there a solar application that would just run the boiler and the pump? my electric bill gets high during the winter when i run my maxim.was wondering if any one would have a suggestion.thanks kevin

In general, electricity from solar panels is MUCH more expensive than buying it from the grid. All the more so in the winter, since daylight is short and sun angles are less favorable. There are more efficient circulators out there, and running your circulator at lower speed can save electricity as well (if you can move enough heat at lower speeds).

I have always wondered if a stirling engine could be used for the pump, the other electric stuff in my maxim doesn't run all the time or make a big difference on my electric bill like the pumps do.

An old timer once put a generator on a stationary bicycle and then connected that to the TV. Then if his kids wanted to watch TV they had to pedal the bike. So why not do the same? Pedal the bike to pump the hot water, keep what you have but on occasion you could use a manual pump?

I'll hafta suggest that to the wife, she walks three miles a day for exercise, with a treadmill hooked up to a pump she could save me money!

I run a DC pump with a solar panel on my solar hot water collectors, but your application is going to require several panels, a charge controller with a low voltage disconnect, batteries and an inverter with some sort of bypass to switch to grid power when the batteries get too low. It would be a fun project, but you will never get any real payback at normal electric rates. If you are in an area with a lousy grid with frequent outages and you want an unattended backup then it may be worth talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.