Solar farm question. What do they typically pay per acre to rent your ground long term? Think 30 year contract on 100+ ac. Need a few comparable's .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Weed/tree control needs to happen. Without it they would shade the panels. Herbicide is the cheapest way I imagine.

If you want to know about returning ground to production look into what it takes to return conservation reserved program land back to production. There probably is a good bit written about that. And with grain prices up farmers are probably interested too. Guess that you would see reduction in yields for a while. When we have broken out sod it takes 10+ years of farming to make similar yields. All dirt is not equal.
A much better solution, sheep. :) Have a few friends doing this.

In fact a lot of farmers back in Europe do that: grow a crop purely to plow it under for its nutritional value to the soil.
This is starting to catch on in the states too. It's being done to add organic matter to the soil and to prevent the top soil from being washed away. I know a few years ago the gov't was paying for cover crops to be planted.

A number of years ago a farmer planted some ground hog radishes as a cover crop in very large field near me. They smelled really good in the spring time when they started to rot.

Reactions: stoveliker
A much better solution, sheep. :) Have a few friends doing this.
Ruminants are definitely preferable to mass toxin spread.

A number of years ago a farmer planted some ground hog radishes as a cover crop in very large field near me. They smelled really good in the spring time when they started to rot.
Do you live near David Brandt's farm? He has been practicing very successful no-till farming in Ohio for decades and uses daikons for soil enhancement with good results.

Last edited:
Reactions: sloeffle
Do you live near David Brandt's farm? He has been practicing very successful no-till farming in Ohio for decades and uses daikons for soil enhancement with good results.
He's about an hour away. I'm roughly 30 minutes north of Columbus, and he's roughly 30 minutes southeast of Columbus. He's had some field days that I've wanted to go to but I always seem to had stuff going on. Dave, Gabe Brown, and Roy Archulata are definitely leaders in their field.

Probably going too far off topic. I actually planted some turnips one year for a soil amendment. I then turned my sheep in with the turnips in the late fall. They ate the top off of the turnips, and then dug up and ate the bulbs.

Reactions: brenndatomu