Solar friendly southern California?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Stumbled on this one today. Anybody live in So.Ca?

Based on their facebook page I suspect they are going to be mounting a big pr campaign very shortly.

Hmmm, my power went out 30 minutes after posting this. :mad: Back on now and the sun is shining on the solar panels.

Free energy from solar sounds good to me until I divide the cost of the solar system by my average monthly bill. Then, it makes no sense. It would be great to have a self energy generating home, but the cost is prohibitive. I've looked into geothermal, and the permit alone to drill the well holes required are prohibitive, not to mention the high cost of a drill rig crew. Someday the technology may there to make solar, wind, etc cost efficient, it isn't there yet.

Reactions: StihlHead
Free energy from solar sounds good to me until I divide the cost of the solar system by my average monthly bill. Then, it makes no sense. It would be great to have a self energy generating home, but the cost is prohibitive. I've looked into geothermal, and the permit alone to drill the well holes required are prohibitive, not to mention the high cost of a drill rig crew. Someday the technology may there to make solar, wind, etc cost efficient, it isn't there yet.

Same here. Read the juicy ads, look at he bottom line, crunch the numbers, even with all the rebates and tax deductions, the payback is way out there beyond 20 years (at best).

Here is the scoop behind the Edison web spoof and the political flap involved:

http://www.kcet.org/news/rewire/commentary/protesters-visit-sce-headquarters-over-solar-battle.html

Status
Not open for further replies.