Solar Kicks In

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
We just got our lowest electrical bill in 21 years. And that includes charging an electric car and running a heat pump instead of the wood stove. Bring on the sun!

Congrats on the switch... How big is the solar array? How big is the cost?

begreen, how does your home owner's feel about the solar panels? Having a hard time with our's just heating with pellets:(

About 5KW total. We just about broke even for the month of May, but I suspect that will only continue to be so through August. After that the shorter days and more foggy mornings will end the trend. I'm not sure what the insurance company thinks about the panels. They're not in or on the house and are of relatively low risk. I would expect them to be covered like a fence or outbuilding, but it's worth checking.

What a great feeling to see the big impact of PV on the electric bill. Congratulations. As to insurance, I checked with my State Farm agent and the ground mounted PV is covered just as a garage or shed would be covered.

Reactions: Lake Girl
What a week this has been. Non-stop sun at the longest days of the year.
Screen Shot 2015-06-11 at 10.03.49 AM.png

Reactions: newburner
To quote the Hannibal Smith, "Don't you love it when a plan comes together" (obscure reference to the A Team TV show).

Enjoy the ride, hopefully you can net meter and then build up a cushion so you just pay the service fee.

Same here begreen. I had my first zero bill ever last month.

Congratulations! It's a great feeling.

I meant to add this to my last post... It was a little better than zero.
7fc78c3cdad7a25147f5993c62689b1d.jpg

Not too much sweeter than "sitting on the porch, enjoying a brew, and making electricity." Really hard work!

Reactions: newburner
We just got our lowest electrical bill in 21 years. And that includes charging an electric car and running a heat pump instead of the wood stove. Bring on the sun!
Why would you be running a heat pump or a wood stove in june or even may?

Our weather is very different from east coast weather. Spring lasts months, not days. During the first few weeks in May we have nights in the 40s and low 50s. If that is followed by a cloudy day in the 50s heat is going to be needed. It is cheaper, cleaner and easier to run the heat pump than run the wood stove during that weather. The heat pump hasn't been on in June so far, but it's possible. It was 49F this morning, but the house retained enough heat from the day before that I just let the sun warm it up.

We also have Puget Sound that acts as a natural air conditioner for us. Here is the week's forecast from NOAA. Note the temps.

Screen Shot 2015-06-13 at 1.07.27 PM.png

Sweet solar production, but I am really praying for rain here! Several creeks have already stopped flowing - not good for the juvenile coho salmon trying to get to the ocean. No snowpack this year either - it could get pretty dire by the end of the summer...

Yes, we've never had a brown lawn in June that I can remember.

Our weather is very different from east coast weather.
Yes our spring here does feel like a few days, we go right from cold to AC weather

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.