solar kiln *free*

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy122

Jan 7, 2011
East NC
this ad is in the Raleigh NC craigslist free section
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/zip/2370518976.html

This is a SOLAR KILN to use the sun's power to dry wood. It has an approximate 8’x24’ footprint and is on 8 huge casters. The roof is clear versus the less effective white roofing.
Also, the peak is about 14 feet high so the top 4 feet would need to be taken off the top for transport.
Deconstruction is also an option by someone with Proof of Liability insurance.
This kiln could also be used as a greenhouse

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

any thoughts?

Attachments

• 3o83p63lf5Y05T25R3b5927bb082b483713ea.jpg
    3o83p63lf5Y05T25R3b5927bb082b483713ea.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 576
Wow That would be an Awesome score!

Moving it would be interesting...

Flatbedford said:

Sure would have to put the thinking cap on! Nice problem though.

Flatbedford said:

that would be the real concern... If it was closer, and a little smaller Id figure it out. I just havent seen anything that says wood kilns work, and the lack of their use here on hearth.com really speaks to the lack of need for them.

If it was closer then I would get it just for parts and build a wood shed out of it.

It is on 8 huge casters. Maybe you could tow it home slowly. :)

Remmy122 said:
Flatbedford said:

that would be the real concern... If it was closer, and a little smaller Id figure it out. I just havent seen anything that says wood kilns work, and the lack of their use here on hearth.com really speaks to the lack of need for them.

If it was closer then I would get it just for parts and build a wood shed out of it.

It will work. The temp in the kiln will be much higher than ambient. Extrapolate from there.

Actualy, that looks more like a lumber kiln than a firewood kiln, but off course it will still work. Lumber kilns are known to reach temps of 140F. A firewood kiln can cut seasoning time to less than half.

It's only 8' wide. Jack up, back trailer underneath, block as required, drive home slow.

that would make a nice green house, add some wood boiler heat to the beds, year round fresh veggies!

the location is about an hour away, all highway, and I have no way to get it back here. I would have to rent a bigger truck/trailer. I think Ill pass. I thought it was intresting though.

What makes the diffrence from a "wood kiln" and a shed with a clear plastic roof?

looks like he made that out of used pallets, Id but 4 just for him being resourceful and trying to EARN some money. In my job I see waaaaay too many people looking for a hand out. (dont get me wrong help those who NEED the help, but Gov. assistance isnt supposed to be a way of life)

The solar kiln was built to dry lumber, but it will dry anything you put into it. We built one here in my shop and they work great. The entire back of mine opens and wood is loaded from there. The angle of the top is cut based on your degree of latitude; for North MS that is 33 degree. The sun will shine right over in there and dry wood. Here in the south; it would be very hard to dry wood below 16% moisture outdoors, but with a kiln you can get it down to furniture grade stuff 6-8%.

Sure wood be a nice score for someone into milling.
In the bit of looking I've done, the only real difference I see btwn solar lumber and firewood kilns is higher ventilation rates for firewood to get lower humidity & dry faster. Adding more vent area, fans or solar fans to something like that would let you dry firewood when not in use for lumber. Bit of a hassle moving all the wood in & out tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.