Solar panels as fuel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Reactions: woodgeek
Phew, when I read the title I envisioned this
solar_panel.jpg

Reactions: zenoparadox
Those are the panels with an integrated lithium ion battery. Samsung makes them.

Too bad that solar panels don't work (just test at night) and EVs only exist because of yuge tax breaks to the wealthy.

And users of both are despicable free-riders, not paying their fair share of expensive grid or road maintenance. Not socially responsible.

Sad.

Maybe this futuristic science fiction article will be reality by 2030. :rolleyes:

I just found it interesting calculating the payback as the gas budget. I'd never considered that angle. Using approximately 170kwh a month it would be a looooong pay back with conventional thinking on powering the house. But from a fuel standpoint, its not a bad payback. Since I drive a company vehicle most of the time it still wouldn't work for me, but I can we where it could really work for many.

I just found it interesting calculating the payback as the gas budget. I'd never considered that angle. Using approximately 170kwh a month it would be a looooong pay back with conventional thinking on powering the house. But from a fuel standpoint, its not a bad payback. Since I drive a company vehicle most of the time it still wouldn't work for me, but I can we where it could really work for many.

Absolutely. Many EV drivers also have solar....eg beeg.

One issue is that many other EV drivers (like me) are already counting savings on gas in their payback on their EV cost relative to 'a comparably equipped gas-wagon'. Shouldn't count those savings twice in the budget. But then, my house is in the shade.

Status
Not open for further replies.