Solar Powered Battery Charger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigV

Oct 1, 2006
Akron, OH
I picked up a 5 watt solar charger to use for my deep cycle batteries. I use the batteries to run my pellet stove during power outages. Can anyone tell me how efficient these are? If I use a converter and burn a 60 watt bulb for 4 hours, how long would (should) it take to recharge the battery using a 5 watt solar panel? Would there be twice the charge rate if I used 2, 5 watt panels at the same time?
Thanks!

5 watts is a trickle charger. 60w @ 120v = 600w @12v. (forget the inverter efficiency loss) 600 w per hour x 4 hours = 2400 w/h
2400/5w= 480 hours to recharge. That doesn't seem right ??? math or physics error??? How long will a large (220 ah) deep discharge battery operate the average pellet stove thru an inverter??

lecomte38 said:
How long will a large (220 ah) deep discharge battery operate the average pellet stove thru an inverter??

My pellet stove runs on 110 and has 2 motors one is the blower motor the other is an exhaust motor.. If the power goes out it will run for about 90 minutes. I usually run it for an hour and then shut it down. My stove takes about 10 minutes to cool down and shut off.

Status
Not open for further replies.