Solar powered lights effective enough

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Never owned a solar powered light. Looking to eluminate an out door stair area. Are they worth it?
Looking for just one in a 10' area.

Not daylight but can see the steps. Are they equal to a 15w bulb?

All the ones I've seen will put out light, but not a whole bunch. Maybe the ones with larger collectors are better? I think the problem is they are made with small PV panels, small batteries, and people want lots of light all night long.

If you put a bunch of the walkway ones out, like one every step you would be fine. I'm part of a corporation that uses a good deal of them along balkheads and showing where cribs going down to docks are. The ones we use provide good foot light, but not much else.

Matt

gzecc said:
Not daylight but can see the steps. Are they equal to a 15w bulb?

Think 4watt night light.

Matt

gzecc I've mounted and otherwise elevated 4 of the 3 battery type solar flood lights to light a pathway for my wife to walk from her car. They are made to stick in the ground but you'll get more illumination with mounting up and pointing them down at 45°. I love solar lights very unobtrusive.

I light my steps and walkways with solar powered walkway lights. One every 6 feet or so will do the job, just make sure they're not the yellow LEDs and you're fine.

Not good as the sun gets lower in the sky in late fall, Sunner is great.
Even on a full late fall sunny day in NH they cannot run like summer,

Picked up a solar motion light at Sams Club recently. It has 2 spot/flood lights on it and it is bright. It was around $50/$60. Has a little 6" or so little panel with a 10' cord. Got about 20 of the walk way ones scattered through out the yard. I like to put them at different heights if I can, to avoid that "runway" look.

Hi folks,

I had the same problem, a dark area without being able to run wires. For the past several years I have used something similar to this:

solar sign sighting, example, http://www.siliconsolar.com/solar-sign-lighting-p-16137.html

They are plenty bright, lasting about six hours every night, recharging during the day. They disburse the light, instead of concentrating it. My 24 LED light, sits about ten feet high and illuminates a 16 by 20 foot area.

Caveats, they are not cheap, at least the commercial duty lights, about $200; they do require several hours of sunlight with a south to southwest exposure, and the small lead acid battery (similar to those used in emergency lighting fixtures inside buildings) seem to last about two years. Get a battery number, or at least battery size and check to see if they can be purchased locally. They cost more to ship than to buy. As they wear out, the light is just dimmer.

I have tried the homeowner quality from home supply places and they were all disappointments. The good ones, to my experience, are the only way to go.

Hope this helps, pdh

Status
Not open for further replies.