Solar Roof Fan/Vent to Help Season Wood???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cedrusdeodara

Dec 3, 2008
New Jersey
I plan on trying to use a solar powered roof fan/vent to help season some wood and I was wondering if anyone else has tried such a thing. I generally cut/stack/transport my split wood in pallet sized wooden bins, the bases of which are the size of a regular pallet and the sides are plywood to a height of about 3.5 feet. My plan is to cut vent holes in the base of the sides of the boxes then fit a tight sealed "lid" atop the box and mount a solar powered house vent/fan to the top. I would store the boxes outside, where the solar fans can do their job, until the wood is seasoned.

Any suggestions or feedback about this approach? I realize that this would be far more effective in the summer months, but I still plan on trying it this fall.

Cedrus

If you have a large chest freezer, put a length of steel pipe in it to chill for a while, then go stick the pipe in the ground and see how much moisture condenses where on it. Unless you have really dry soil, you will have more moisture closer to the ground. It is that moist air that will get sucked in through the holes at the bottom.

Why not replace the plywood walls with something that will allow wind and sun to pass through, such as a wood fence type of structure? I suppose you could even get a hole saw and drill a heck of a lot of holes in the plywood. Mother nature will take care of the rest.

Just stack it outside. The real wind and Sun will do more quicker than a solar-powered fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.