Sold a small batch of hickory today to a co-workeer who BBQ's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
Originally told him $7 for 15 smallish splits.

When I fixed it up last night it ended up being 19 pieces and measured about 2 cubic feet.

That averages $448/cord.....yeah.. if I can find 64 more guys like him.

If you could bag the chips coming out of the saw you could sell that as well!

It goes a long way smoking, I probably go thru a 5 gallon bucket or two full of wood chunks in a year. You can buy bags of chunks online and at the grocery, I would say he probably got a bargain

I sell some Hickory to Chefs that insist I use vegetable oil for bar lube when cutting for them And they can tell if I have.

smokinjay said:

Oh yeah...nothin' like that genuine Bar & Chain oil tang to make a meal special! %-P

fossil said:
smokinjay said:

Oh yeah...nothin' like that genuine Bar & Chain oil tang to make a meal special! %-P

run veggie oil there Rick! If hes getting 500.00 a cord I wouldnt waist a thing!

His saw, I guess he can run anything he wants.

Did a quick check online, found assorted wood for smoking @ $9.95 for 2.2 cu ft box plus $10.95 shipping (WOW)

Luckily it doesent take much, I was always able to buy cherry/apple/hickory locally or even get some free

no man said:
fossil said:
smokinjay said:

I was going to do that with some cherry till I smelled the oil in the saw dust.

You should see some of the dust around my mill 880 and running an aux-oiler as well....nice!

smokinjay said:
no man said:
fossil said:
smokinjay said:

I was going to do that with some cherry till I smelled the oil in the saw dust.

You should see some of the dust around my mill 880 and running an aux-oiler as well....nice!

Yeah I bet thats nice, so much for saving that dust right? My dust is not totaly wasted though I use it to make fire starters.

I BBQ with wood out of my pile

ANeat said:
It goes a long way smoking, I probably go thru a 5 gallon bucket or two full of wood chunks in a year. You can buy bags of chunks online and at the grocery, I would say he probably got a bargain

It depends on the kind of cooker. Some BBQ pits use primarily wood.

I saw someone on another forum recently spent $40 for about 10 CF of apple wood. I have the type of cooker that ANeat has too, so I don't use a lot of wood. Mainly just what's left over from pruning my fruit trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.