Sold the St. Croix Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogieb

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2014
South Central NH
I loved the way the Hastings looked, and it did a fine job heating my main floor. But sometimes it would run out of pellets before I got home. Also, the ash can had to be emptied every week and the insides cleaned no less than bi-weekly. I also found it to be a bit picky on pellets - it would burn them but I would have to adjust the damper if I changed brands/sizes. I was lucky that it loved FSU's and they were in plentiful supply last year, but who knows what pellets will be available this year?

I picked up a used Harman PP38++ (basically a P43) last spring but it has been sitting around until I could sell the Hastings. The price of the Harman made it such a deal, plus the larger hopper and ash can size - and, it runs basically the same as the P61a - so easy to maintain.

I would like to thank Cleanfire again for helping me bring the Baby Harman home and letting me hang onto his rolling platform dolly all this time. People on this forum as so great to volunteer time, help and even equipment!

Harman%20PP38%20in%20place_zpsdtriffbr.jpg

Now all I have to do is set up the pipe (the Harman is a different height than the Hastings was), then slide it back a bit and I'll be in business.

I guess you can call me a Harman snob now.

HARMAN SNOB! :rolleyes: Ya happy now?

He will be when the heating season starts and only have to empty the ash bin once a ton along with the cleaning.

Reactions: bogieb and Tonyray
He will be when the heating season starts and only have to empty the ash bin once a ton along with the cleaning.
She, but that is okay, I get that a lot :).

Reactions: Cory S and killie11
I see the St.Croix did not last long in your collection, and Please, fall isn't here yet:)

I see the St.Croix did not last long in your collection, and Please, fall isn't here yet:)

Hey, just trying to stay ahead. But, I'm sure I will leave the piping until the last second (like usual).

That looks exactly like a P61. Congrats they are a fine fine stove.

A LOT smaller though. There is no way my P61a would fit there, much less have the room on both sides that is needed for clearance. Yep, it's the baby of the series alright :)

Reactions: bags and killie11
Glad to hear you got a stove that is more in line with your run-time and cleaning schedule needs ... you Harman snob.;lol;lol Hope venting won't give you too much grief on the install. Keep us posted on how things go ... along with a pic of the first fire in it's new home!

Went to a Harman dealer yesterday to make sure I got the correct hopper extension (older models are different than newer models), and order some side heat shields as I'm about an inch too close to a freaking wall (as opposed to a regular wall :eek:). As an aside - the heat shields are cheaper thru the dealer than anything I have found on the net. The strange thing about my baby Harman is the metal ID tag has both PP38+ and P43 on it, with check boxes next to each model number. Naturally, neither box had a dimple. The date and month boxes are marked, just not the actual stove model. The dealer said he had never seen a tag that had both - I don't know, maybe it was a 'tween year.

So, the dealer called up tech support, gave them my SN, and they reported that it is definitely a P43. I was pretty confident that what the seller said was a PP38++ was basically a P43, but now I know for sure.

Reactions: bags
Wow thats a nice surprise. Great price on a P38 turns into darn near stealing a P43! Have you checked control panel to see if there is an igniter LED? Or look inside the fire pot access panel in the front for the igniter.

Guess I'm just jealous and wished my p38 would turn into a p43.

Reactions: CleanFire
Makes the inch not so bad to have to pay for a shield.

Where is your clearance issue to demand side shields?

Looks like the back walls from the pictures.

Looks like the back walls from the pictures.

Nice guess but I turned the stove so it is no longer catty-corner. That way the fan blows the hot air down the hallway towards the bedroom instead of the dead corner of my living room, where it just gets trapped. We'll see how that works out for me or if I have to get out the tower fan anyway.

Wow thats a nice surprise. Great price on a P38 turns into darn near stealing a P43! Have you checked control panel to see if there is an igniter LED? Or look inside the fire pot access panel in the front for the igniter.

Guess I'm just jealous and wished my p38 would turn into a p43.

It has the igniter and everything is set up just at my P61a is, so not really surprised. Just wonder why they kept calling it a PP38++.

It has the igniter and everything is set up just at my P61a is, so not really surprised. Just wonder why they kept calling it a PP38++.
Maybe because they couldn't really get enough BTU's out of it to be called a 48/61?

Status
Not open for further replies.