Soldering Harmon XXV Ignitor Wire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbean1025

Mar 21, 2007
Southern New Hampshire
I have a 5 year old XXV that has the original ignitor that seems to be working off and on. I have found that if I allow the ignitor to hang from the access opening it will heat up but will only work off and on when in the proper location. I think one of the wires may be in trouble since when it hangs straight, it seems to work best. I was trying to find a way to fix the wiring to the ignitor. I thought about soldering but was worried that the solder would just melt off when the ignitor chamber heats up. Any suggestions? I am also going to try and find a heat cartridge on line to replace it. Mine is a 1/4" diameter and 3" long, any suggestions on the replacement cartridge would also be helpful. Thanks in advance for any help and hope everyone had a great Christmas.

PDK9 said:
.....Mine is a 1/4" diameter and 3" long, any suggestions on the replacement cartridge would also be helpful. Thanks in advance for any help and hope everyone had a great Christmas.

IMO, I would not be messing with a 5 yr. old ignitor....you got your money's worth out of it, considering how fast the new Harman ignitors are burning out (within a year on some).

Try Grainger for replacement ignitor cartridge....you already know the length & diameter, now all you need is the wattage.

www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/searc...et&typeaheadSearch;.x=21&typeaheadSearch;.y=6

Status
Not open for further replies.