1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Solid fuel cooker/boiler

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Jeff, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff

Jeff New Member

Loc:
    Bromyard U.K.
    I think I posted this in the wrong forum sorry !!

Read on though , you may be able to help !!

Has anyone had any experience of doing the following

I run a stanley errigal 50 which mainly burns anthracite , I have burnt wood very successfully on it however , I want to take the wood burning a stage further

the stanley burns through a riddling grate and as we all know wood burns best on a flat base with air going into the fire rather than underneath it

I recently bought an inset Esse 300 which again had a grate and I was getting so frustrated with trying to burn wood on it that I took out the grate and now burn wood directly in the ashpan and its working brilliantly

My idea for the stanley is to have a cast iron box made with air slots in the front , to replace the ashpan and remove the riddling grate and burn wood directly in the box , I know it will work but....

does anyone else have experience of either solid fuel central heating cookers , or multi fuel stoves that they have converted to burn purely wood by removing the grate? Any tips would be most welcome

Thanks

Jeff

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.