Solid fuel cooker/boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Dec 4, 2005
Bromyard U.K.
I think I posted this in the wrong forum sorry !!

Read on though , you may be able to help !!

Has anyone had any experience of doing the following

I run a stanley errigal 50 which mainly burns anthracite , I have burnt wood very successfully on it however , I want to take the wood burning a stage further

the stanley burns through a riddling grate and as we all know wood burns best on a flat base with air going into the fire rather than underneath it

I recently bought an inset Esse 300 which again had a grate and I was getting so frustrated with trying to burn wood on it that I took out the grate and now burn wood directly in the ashpan and its working brilliantly

My idea for the stanley is to have a cast iron box made with air slots in the front , to replace the ashpan and remove the riddling grate and burn wood directly in the box , I know it will work but....

does anyone else have experience of either solid fuel central heating cookers , or multi fuel stoves that they have converted to burn purely wood by removing the grate? Any tips would be most welcome

Thanks

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.