solo 30 light off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toyman

Sep 30, 2008
Central Ct
I bought a solo plus 30 before I found this forum, did a lot of research and decided this was the best boiler that fit my needs.
Finally have my solo 30 all piped in,next step is light off, should I build a small fire first or just let it go to temp. On my new cast iron wood stoves many years ago I needed to have a break in fire is this true for boiler plate. Says nothing in the owners manual about this.
Thanks for any and all info about these boilers

Markk, I started with a small fire first. It was a good thing, as it wasn't long and I had a large amount of smoke coming out of the top covers. Turns out there was a bb-sized weld splatter on the rim of the cleanout lid, and the lid wasn't seated well because of it. You may want to check for that. Also, being new to the gasifer/boiler world, I felt better about being a little more cautious and in-control first time out. As far as anything else, a small fire will be enough to burn off any residue on the boiler plate, chimney pipe, etc. I don't think the boiler plate needs to be "seasoned". I have the Solo 30 also, and am very satisfied with it. Once you get used to the controls, and operation, it's actually fun to watch it operate when it's in it's "sweet-spot" during gasification. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.