Solution for small fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mshute

Nov 15, 2007
Eastern MA
Hello All,
I have a small arched fireplace opening that I'd love to get a small wood burning insert into. After visiting a local retailer, my best option was to knock out a few of the bricks toward the outer sides of the arch to fit an insert in there. Although this would be hidden by the insert's cover plate after the fact, I'd rather not get into any masonry demo if I don't have to. I've attached a photo, clearance at the center of the arch is 22.5", 14" at the left and right sides of the opening and about 21" a quarter of the way in from either side. Width of the opening is 35" and depth of the hearth is 21", as is the depth of the fireplace. Any suggestions on models that might work would be appreciated!
I haven't ruled out a wood stove, which there are some models that would work if they sat out on the hearth, but I don't know if the hearth is built on wood framing or not ( any way to figure this out?) and I'd also have to add non-combustible surface in front.

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 391
If I was you, I would seriously consider something like the Hearthstone Homestead, or one of the other stoves that can be mounted in front of a fireplace and can rear vent. I don't think you're going to find an insert that will fit and I agree that punching out bricks sounds like an awful idea.

Yes, a number of small hearth stoves would seem to do the job. That way you only have to look at the Flue exit (read) height. Some stoves also sell short leg kits to lower the flue height even more.

Examples - Jotul 3 or QT, VC Intrepid, some Hearthstones and many others.

With a hearth stove you would need to be sure the hearth was not wood framed, as you mentioned. I have a prefab fireplace that I was thinking of putting a stove in front of, but I know the hearth (a textured concrete slab) is sitting on wood framing. So in that case you need to build up the hearth to get the R-value required by the stove. Unfortunately, the shorter legs tend to increase the required R-value.

Thanks all for your input. The Intrepid II defninitely looks like a solid choice with the short leg option. I am still concerned about the hearth though, it would be a shame to have to put another layer of something on top of the existing brick. After speaking with a VC dealer yesterday, they gave me the impression that with the bottom heat shield it would not be a problem, but the owners manuals don't seem to support this.

The heat shield should greatly reduce the required R-value under the stove. What does the manual say? Solid brick/stone/concrete has a very small R-value though, so you'll want to figure out if there's wood down there or not. Perhaps drill through the mortar in an inconspicuous place?

I too have a small fireplace. I am getting a Hearthstone Homestead that sits just in front of the fireplace opening and vents through the chimney.

In order to comply with code, I had to get the chimney lined with an insulated 6" steel liner, rip out wood that was too close (to 14" in the homestead's case if you use a rear heat shield) and have appropriate floor protection.

Based on your photo, you may need to extend your hearth in front of the bricks with more bricks or with an insulated hearth pad. . . check the manual. A bottom heat shield option may help a great deal.

It was a long process for me to modify my existing fireplace, but I think it will be well worth it (I have my install in 2 weeks) . . . currently the stove is unattached and mocking me from the corner of the room.

Look at the height of your opening at the width needed for the Osburn 1800i and the small Quadrafire. I think their the shortest ones going.

Status
Not open for further replies.