solution for warping baffle plates on jotul firelight cb

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter

Aug 9, 2007
Boulder County, CO
Hi:

We bought a Jotul Firelight CB about 7 years ago. We heat over 2000 sq. ft. exclusively with this unit. For a number of reasons, it started as a love/hate relationship, but it has mellowed mostly to a fondness for this unit. We live near Boulder, CO, and, in winter, the stove goes pretty constantly, year after year. This tends, over 2 or 3 years of hot fires, to warp and crack the baffle plates suspended immediately over the secondary burn-tubes. They are expensive.

Rather than buy a third set of baffles last year, I bought a set of split fire-bricks and cut them to a pattern of about 14 3/4" X 14 3/4". They are placed over & held sightly above the fire tubes by several 3/16 cold-rolled steel dowels lying 90 degrees to the tubes. Because a couple of bolts at the rear burn plate/manifold hold a couple of bricks very slightly ahead of the back wall of the stove, I left the fire-blanket over the bricks, including the slight gap.

This was done for the winter of 06/07, by far the roughest winter we have used the stove. I can see no difference in the secondary burn, except that it may take a little longer to "torch-off", and may last a little longer after banking an "all-nighter" (which I usually don't do unless it's very cold.) Upon cleaning the stove this summer, I found no bad result to the stove. The blanket and bricks remain in great shape. 'Just FYI.

Best regards,

Dexter Black

Status
Not open for further replies.